Office for iPad slow typing

Anonymous
2014-05-25T17:01:26+00:00

I have created several documents in the desktop version off Office 365 and would like to be able to edit them on my ipad.  I've noticed that typing in these documents is unacceptably slow.  I've tried switching compatibility mode on the desktop, but to no avail.  Any thoughts??

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | iOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T22:26:36+00:00

    Could I ask how you store and work on documents locally (and by that I assume you mean on the iPad itself)?

    Thanks.

    Hi DavidRatajack, yes, you can use the Office apps without relying on cloud. Here in Sydney Australia it's essential to be able to do so as mobile internet is so patchy & inconsistent.

    When you have your iPad connected to iTunes go to the apps pane & towards the bottom you'll see an area called 'File Sharing'.

    Click on Word (or Excel or Powerpoint) in the app list and a file list window will appear.

    You can then either use the 'Add' button to add documents or on Mac you can just drag them to the window & synch your iPad.

    Then when you are on your iPad the front window will show cloud & iPad as file locations, just select iPad for local documents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T02:05:41+00:00

    Could I ask how you store and work on documents locally (and by that I assume you mean on the iPad itself)?

    Thanks.

    Hi DavidRatajack, yes, you can use the Office apps without relying on cloud. Here in Sydney Australia it's essential to be able to do so as mobile internet is so patchy & inconsistent.

    When you have your iPad connected to iTunes go to the apps pane & towards the bottom you'll see an area called 'File Sharing'.

    Click on Word (or Excel or Powerpoint) in the app list and a file list window will appear.

    You can then either use the 'Add' button to add documents or on Mac you can just drag them to the window & synch your iPad.

    Then when you are on your iPad the front window will show cloud & iPad as file locations, just select iPad for local documents.

    Many thanks, AdamRex. In case you haven't been following along with the OneDrive threads, it's so flawed currently that it's for the most part undependable -- so you're not missing much even though you have a  "patchy & inconsistent" mobile internet. I'm hoping that by running my client files locally on the iPad, I won't have to worry about such things as files disappearing, becoming permanently uneditable due to concurrent access by "another user" (I'm the only person who uses my files), locked files because they've been "moved from their original location," files that can't be seen on any device other than the one it was created on (i.e., not synched to other devices), and other folly.

    I hope this works -- thanks, again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T10:35:27+00:00

    Not on my side. It's a consistent issue for me.

    I should also add that I do not use via cloud, this is with a locally stored document. If this was with a cloud stored document I imagine it would be impossible to use.

    I always duplicate documents before I start making changes to them so I guarantee I can open the files even when  I have no access to the Internet. The delay is present regardless of where the file has been saved. But in my case it's intermittent. Last night I was writing notes while observing a class - the reason I bought Office 365 in the first place - and there was no delay! I was working locally with no access to the Internet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T14:31:08+00:00

    I have been having the same issue as well, It seems to happen more in Word than Excel. Both apps have been updated to the newest version but the problem still persists. The lag does seem to occur less when you save a file locally and edit it, but that really defeats the purpose of using OneDrive and creates extra steps for something that should be much easier. This is very disappointing from Microsoft...I would expect better from them for a product that we are wasting money on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-22T23:54:43+00:00

    When is Microsoft going to wake up and address the multitude of issues with MS Office for iPad!?!  

    8 months with no resolution, or even any acknowledgement of these issues is a complete and total abdication of their responsibilities to their customers!  If they were free apps, even then they would be derelict, but given that we have to pay for a "service" that is not being provided it is inexcusable!  

    We are completely unable to access our folders and files through the forced "use" of their cloud "non-service", Onedrive.  This makes MS Office for iPad virtually unusable.  The only way we can save any file is just to dump it into a "pile" in Onedrive, without any way of organizing our folders or files for later retrieval.  This is deplorable, no, more than that, criminal, given their total lack of response to hundreds, and likely, thousands of irate customers. 

    Aside from that, the apps are horrendously slow.  When I try to type into an app, the time lag before characters show up runs from 3 to 5 seconds after they are typed!  No other app on my iPad acts this way.  

    And now, a further issue has surfaced:  when I try to save a file, Word tells me that the file already exists!  No matter what I name the file, it says it already exists!  Just as a test, I named it "boop oop de doo", and it still said it already exists!  The only way I could save my file was naming it: "it does not exist", and even then, it only allowed me to replace the nonexistent file!  

    What at is the problem with Microsoft, that they are so incompetent in their total lack of response to their responsibilities!?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments