Office for iPad slow typing

Anonymous
2014-05-25T17:01:26+00:00

I have created several documents in the desktop version off Office 365 and would like to be able to edit them on my ipad.  I've noticed that typing in these documents is unacceptably slow.  I've tried switching compatibility mode on the desktop, but to no avail.  Any thoughts??

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | iOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-04T01:23:51+00:00

    I have the same problem exacerbated by the first letter of a sentence often repeating (eg rrepeating). I tried the reset suggestion but with little or no impact. It is incredibly frustrating!!  We need an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-25T22:59:49+00:00

    Add one more to the list, over a year later than the OP(!) I'm finishing my master thesis written mostly in Scrivener and parts in Ulysses. Since I'll have to finalize it in Word anyway (because of reference library linking etc), and because of some good reviews from here and there, I bought the academic version of Office365. 

    I'm amazed of how flaky it is. Word on my Macs is even slower than it used to be (being the main reason for leaving Word years ago for anything other than finalizing documents). Opening the font-menu for the first time in a session produces the same 10 second lag as always. Formatting windows are as unintuitive as always, just slower. Even worse - cursor/window refresh is so slow, there is notable cursor lag when typing.

    But hey - I have cloud storage, right! At least I can edit my thesis on the go!

    No way. Word for iPad seems to be working OK when the document is created on the iPad and being only a page or four long. While my document is a lot longer, it has only a handful of illustrations and graphs, yet produces the same ⅓ of a second lag as reported elsewhere in this thread.

    There is also no real way to see only my text. The iPad app is stuck to Page View and require that you apply various amounts of zoom depending on what marigins you have and whatnot. I don't care about layout or anything else than really basic formatting until I'm finished writing - I only care about the text. Microsoft seems to be catering for the casual business user more than students and writers.

    Unacceptably bad, both for desktop and iPad. Microsoft sure makes it easy to love everyone else. Concidering sticking to Word 2011 and getting my money back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-04T20:43:17+00:00

    ...the typing lag should be fixed...

    Thanks for your input but sadly, it hasn't made any difference in my situation.

    The totally unacceptable lag persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-04T17:38:37+00:00

    This fix has worked for me and resolved almost all of the lag issues.

    Go to Settings > Word > Reset Word > select the option to Clear All Documents.

    Okay... followed the advice you've given, thank you, but couldn't tell you if it works because every time I reopen Word afterwards it turns that setting back off!!!!

    That is normal, after clearing the documents initially the typing lag should be fixed and you should only have to clear the documents if the lag starts happening again, not every time you use the app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-04T17:36:21+00:00

    Thank you Client Services - (so far!) it does what it said on your tin!!  Clearly you should be on MS's team - your solution (which even I managed to apply successfully) is obviously something beyond the grasp of the (supposed) experts! - or perhaps helping out customers isn't in their remit!!

    I am inclined to think the latter :) The customer support is seriously lacking for an industry leader. Glad I was able to help out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments