This problem is driving me crackers & I am so annoyed that Microsoft is staying silent on this & not fixing it.
The problems occur no matter what way you are inputting (through on-screen keyboard or bluetooth keyboard) and as other posters have said the greater the number of fields the greater the problem.
I was roughly timing the input delay yesterday while working with a medium-sized document and it pretty much runs at taking 1 second per character. In other words finish typing a sentence, go do something else for 5 minutes, then come back for the next sentence.
Totally unacceptable.
Prior to MS releasing these apps I had to use Documents To Go from DataViz to access my MS documents on my iPad. I NEVER had this problem with their 3rd-party app! How absurd is that?
I'm now seriously considering demanding a refund from MS & going back to using Docs To Go!!!
I had been thinking of suggesting to the national company I work with that we look at deploying Office to all our reps & various road-warriors for use on their iPads but that certainly won't be happening when there are SERIOUS problems like this being ignored
by Microsoft.