A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
I'm taking Albert's suggestions seriously here, should have an answer by Monday whether or not his claim truly rectifies the issues. But the fact is, what Albert assures us is "common" knowledge is far from that. Again, I've been at this hard core for 15 years and never even remotely ran into anything like this issue, despite Albert's assertion that of course I have, I just didn't know it.
Yes the point stands:
You deploy to a different version (binary) are you are asking for trouble. As I pointed out we had this last year with 2010, and as I pointed out we had this issue back in Access 97.
I think the “emergency” solution would be to deploy a front end with source code. You can even rename this FE it as accdr. With that extension the application will launch as runtime with design surfaces locked up – note that Access is smart enough to detect the binary difference and WILL RE-COMPILE your code for you! – this occurs EVEN with runtime only – the VBA compiler is available). You long time developers here all know and realize that you code will re-compile on the clients machine in this case – correct?
Another solution?
(this is what I used last year when the 2010 sp update broke runtime applications).
I created two front ends – one for sp1, and one for non sp1. So if the first install did not work, people were told to install the second choice. So I simply had folks run the non sp1 until the SP update came out.
Note that NOW sp1 for 2013 runtime is available? I suggest to all to “include” it in their runtime install as to eliminate the need to install a separate sp1 update.
The REALLY big mess up here was that installing sp1 to an office install did NOT upgrade the runtime and that certainly what messed “most” up here. And as noted we had this issue last year with 2010 runtime.
The issue of course is that auto updates DO NOT modify the runtime! This is actually GOOD THING and GOOD choice by the folks in Redmond because as a developer I DO not WANT Microsoft updating my client’s runtime and that seems to be what most here would agree with.
In other words your runtime installs WERE NOT updated by Microsoft update.
The problem here was not some un-scheduled update of the runtime, but in fact that runtimes ARE NOT updated.
The problem here is YOU DEVELOPERS HERE let you development machine be updated to SP1 – and then started deploying software to machines without the SP1 update. (and I think we can call everyone developers here – right?)
So in summary:
Most simple “quick” solution – deploy new front end with source code.
Next most simple:
Deploy new front ends without SP1.
(maintain two versions until all are running sp1 updates)
Last year when in a hurry and busy and the 2010 runtime had this EXACT same issue – I simply re-compiled a non sp1 front end, placed on the server and had those unable to run that package. Of course I wrap all my installs in an inno install. I likely should have it check the sp release during an install.
Best regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada