Access 2013 runtime and SP1

Anonymous
2014-03-19T15:26:04+00:00

I recently allowed my Access 2013 to update itself to SP1 or the latest version. Today I modified a database and saved it as a ACCDE file. When one of my Access 2013 runtime users attempted to open the database they got an "unrecognized format" error. I searched for an updated Access 2013 runtime for SP1 and there isn't one. This is a big problem as all of my users use the runtime to open and use the databases. I effectively cannot update or revise any database design until this issue is resolved.

Is there an ETA on when the runtime will be updated? If not is there a work around?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T20:25:23+00:00
    • ****! I have spent ALL DAY trying to figure this out before reading all of this! I'm using Access365 Home Premium.
    • Access2013 successfully installed on client's PC, but it won't open the ACCDE with the "wrong version" message.
    • Just for fun, (sarcasm) I copied my ACCDB file to the client's PC and I can open IT.
    • Sure, the runtime won't allow me to view designs, etc ... but am I about to deploy my app without any means of protecting my valuable code? I don't think so!
    • I hate to be cynical, but do you suppose this has anything to do with Money$oft's new "App Store"? Are they forcing use to use that as the only means of distributing an app? Is that why they discontinued the "Installation Packager Wizard" with this version?
    • I even tried that, using the wizard in Access 2007 (which creates an ADDR file). It fails with same error. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggg!!!!! PS: The only way to be able to upload/distribute through the Office Store is to have a copy of the Business version, right? Am I going to throw another couple hundred to Money$oft for that priviledge,,and have 2 different "versions" of the same software? This is total BS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-02T17:28:56+00:00

    UPDATE # 2 - FAIL

    What I thought was a success in terms of rolling back windows was short lived.  The database did indeed open on the runtime machines, but after some use, there are major errors that are appearing having to do with the use of DAO.recordset.  Upon .edit I'm getting ERROR 3320 "Function is not available in expressions in table-level validation expression."  This is occurring anywhere a DAO.recordset is used in code. These errors are again obviously not present on the full Access 2013 computers that had the update.

    I am back to not having workable distributions for my runtime users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T22:22:29+00:00

    Full Fledged Access DB files work fine, confirmed this is just the ACCDE version....this sucks..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T22:20:30+00:00

    I'm having the same issue and I tried a blank basic DB and created ACCDE and it fails....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-01T19:46:08+00:00

    OK reporting back...  SUCCESS!  We have a temporary work around.

    Windows Rollback on Windows 7 labtop machine worked.  I choose a rollback date of 2/28/13 to be absolutely sure.  I have no idea when in mid to late march this occurred so choose your date accordingly.

    I also disconnected this computer from internet/network and also set my windows update settings to "Never Check for Updates" on this computer until Microsoft gets their butt in gear.

    Now when I compile and distrubute as an .accdr from this labtop, all my runtime users are able to open the distrubuted version.

    Hope this helps...

    JP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments