Access 2013 runtime and SP1

Anonymous
2014-03-19T15:26:04+00:00

I recently allowed my Access 2013 to update itself to SP1 or the latest version. Today I modified a database and saved it as a ACCDE file. When one of my Access 2013 runtime users attempted to open the database they got an "unrecognized format" error. I searched for an updated Access 2013 runtime for SP1 and there isn't one. This is a big problem as all of my users use the runtime to open and use the databases. I effectively cannot update or revise any database design until this issue is resolved.

Is there an ETA on when the runtime will be updated? If not is there a work around?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T16:58:31+00:00

    Yes "Sven",

    [Begin Rant Mode]

    I believe that Microsoft has really been shooting themselves in the foot with all of this versioning, and that "casual" or "hobby" programmers in particular are not going to stand for it.

    The bottom line is, we laid out the cash ... and just plain expect it to work!

    Many of us were ill-advised on what product to buy from the MULTITUDE of "Office 365" and/or "Desktop" versions, and the jury is still out with my personal decision.

    I'm "locked in" on Home Premium until late August, with no recourse to upgrade to something else. The upside to that, I suppose, is that it gives me some time to investigate some alternatives ... whether they include Microsoft Access or not.

    Microsoft should have just stuck with the Access97 model. Either you're a Developer or you're not. (and if you decide you want to be a developer, pay for an upgrade to what you bought. Period.

    Don't mislead the newbies dangling that carrot of "cloud computing" (SharePoint Services) just out of reach ... Dear God, none of us can afford to dream of owning an "Enterprise" version!

    Actually, from what I've read ... there are no more "Web Database" capabilities in Office 365 at all, with the exception of Access 2010 / SharePoint Sever 2010 users being "grandfathered in".

    Like I said, I'm still studying, and encountering a LOT of both reading and confusion.

    Here's another example of "Upsizing" and related confusion:

    [Quote]

    Note   SkyDrive is now OneDrive, and SkyDrive Pro is now OneDrive for Business. Read more about this change at From SkyDrive to OneDrive.

    [/Quote]

    Don't even want to "go there" on the "Context-Sensitive Access Help" issue, what a freaking JOKE that has become!

    Yeah ... "shot themselves in the foot" is precisely what they have done!

    [End Rant Mode]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T16:14:52+00:00

    Here goes a doozy.

    My dev PC has Office 2013 365 ProPlus

         Office Updates Version : 15.0.4605.1003

         Access Version (About MS Access) : 15.0..4601.1000

    2 Client PCs

         Same Office 2013 365 ProPlus and versions

    20 Clients PCs

         Office 2013 Business (Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Outlook)

                  15.0.4605.1000

         Access 2013 Runtime

    On January 3rd 2014, I upgraded an Access 2000 database (FE) to 2013 and deploy it on new

    windows 7 systems. Everything worked as expected, no issues whatsoever. Then last week I updated some code and created a new ACCDE, just as I did back in January, and now all of the client PCs (even the 2 with 365) show the same error "unrecognized format" error.

    Naturally I recreated the file from scratch (New 2013 database) and imported forms and modules, decompiled and recompiled, compressed and repaired the brand new ACCDE file, same results. Plant B, new and empty database saved as ACCDE, same results.

    What gives?

    The bright side is that I kept a copy of the database still in Access 2000 format and updated the code I needed on my windows xp machine with office 2000 pro and created an MDE file, which runs just fine on all the Client PCs.

    I guess I'll drop Access from my subscriptions and keep my windows xp machine off the grid to maintain my application until the Access 2013 Runtime team gets their act together.

    I was planning on upgrading my application look and feel to the goodies of the new Access, but I think I'll rewrite my application in VB.NET to avoid all these issues.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T14:43:35+00:00

    Thanks JP-VP,

    I read all of that, in it's entirety, and posted some "Feedback" advising them that MANY users are reporting problems with the Access Runtime(s) (32 and 64 bit) ... and are unable to distribute their runtime application(s).

    The current Runtime is apparently NOT the "SP1"version, as it has a version number of 15.0.4517.1004

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T13:08:30+00:00

    I did some research last night...  if you read hereMicrosoft Description

    SP1 is version 15.0.4569.1506 or later.  Do not expect SP1 to be listed in your "Installed Update" as suggested above, it is not.

    I also am actually on 15.0.4601.1003 which appears to be slightly newer than yours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T13:04:27+00:00

    I will validate that adding SP1 to a runtime only environment fixes the said problem as you suggest and report back.

    Lets' be clear, I am not a programmer, developer, or IT guy. I am a small business owner who has been designing and using a very large in-house access application for 15 years. I do not claim to even remotely know everything and the concept you describe above is new to me, so I thank you, it has been noted..

    If what you are saying is right (which again, I will validate today) then microsoft's policy of pushing down UNMARKED SP1 updates to users without providing a runtime update at the same time is obviously terrible design philosophy.

    Anybody else tried installing SP1 on a machine running runtime only to see if Albert "Certainty" on what our problem is, is indeed valid???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments