Access 2013 runtime and SP1

Anonymous
2014-03-19T15:26:04+00:00

I recently allowed my Access 2013 to update itself to SP1 or the latest version. Today I modified a database and saved it as a ACCDE file. When one of my Access 2013 runtime users attempted to open the database they got an "unrecognized format" error. I searched for an updated Access 2013 runtime for SP1 and there isn't one. This is a big problem as all of my users use the runtime to open and use the databases. I effectively cannot update or revise any database design until this issue is resolved.

Is there an ETA on when the runtime will be updated? If not is there a work around?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-15T08:03:19+00:00

    Hi Albert,

    thanks for the lecture - but well, I did what I described in the reply to Bill ... and it did work.

    For my PC/virtual PC setup maybe do clarify:

    Real PC under my desk: Win 7 Pro 64 bit with Office 2013 Plus 64 bit.

    Virtual-Test-PC 1: VirtualBox with Win 7 Pro 32 bit with Access Runtime 32 bit

    Virtual-Test-PC 2: VirtualBox with Win 7 Pro 64 bit with Access Runtime 64 bit

    Yes, VirtualBox running on a 64bit host can create a 32bit client system (but not the other way around).

    I know I can not test a 64 bit accde with a 32 bit Access Runtime/on a 32bit Windows. This I did not care about though. Of course, I could set up a third test-virtual-development pc with Win 7 32bit and Office 2013 Plus 32 bit, compile an accde from my accdeb and test this on my virtual-test-pc 1 .... but as I said, I did not care. At this time I was simply to frustrated .... and also: the customer is getting the accdb anyways.

    Olaf

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-13T22:05:49+00:00

    What I did:

    "THANKS for your reply. I removed the runtime from my development PC - and - all of a sudden - it seems to work!

    On a test (virtual) PC (Win 7, 64 bit + 64bit Access Runtime) I was able to open a version which I had created with a 64bit version "full" Access. I did not try to create a 32 bit version (as I would need to install Office 32bit on a virtual machine for testing first) - but I guess it would also work."

    Olaf 

    You are suggesting that you tested office x64 in VPC. Such a setup is not a possible. VPC has a 64 bit edition that runs on x64 windows, but the “guest” or installed VM’s with VPC CAN ONLY BE X32 BIT VERSIONS OF THE OS.

    There is no current support of x64 bit OS’s that can install on VPC. So while the x64 bit of VPC can use more ram etc and is an x64 bit program, the VPC system DOES NOT ALLOW OR SUPPORT installing x64 bit versions of the os as a VM (the so called “guest” system)

    So you whatever virtual technology you are using, you certainly cannot do as you claim with VPC.

    If in fact you ARE using VPC, then you have the x32 bit version of office/access or the x32 bit access runtime installed. You cannot install office x64 into VPC. This setup is simply NOT possible.

    This thus raises the issue that what versions you “think” you are using and installing are VASTLY different then what you are using.

    What this means is:

    Your claim of running an x64 bit OS in VPC is wrong, it not possible nor allowed.

    Your claim of running x64 bit version of office (or x64 runtime) VPC is also wrong.

    And worse yet?

    Uninstalling the runtime on your development machine should not change anything here and in fact as noted you cannot install runtime on a machine that has full edition. The runtime installer ignores the install WHEN the full version is ALREADY on the machine. Of course the installer does create a “fake” entry in the programs and features area of windows. So you see an entry, but the runtime is NOT installed. This means use of access runtime points to the FULL EDITION OF ACCESS if you have it installed. You thus cannot have two versions of the same version of Access installed (no more so then trying to install Excel 2013 two times – it not possible – only one copy can exist.

    Again given this information, then un-installing runtime on your dev machine cannot be a fix nor even change anything here.

    So the only way this could be an issue is if the version of the runtime is DIFFERENT then the full version of Access (but then again that would point to you leaving out even more details that

    again leads to more confusing here).

    Based on the information you provided so far, it seems unlikely that you are running the x64 bit version of office. As noted you cannot use + install the x64 bit version of office in VPC since x64 OS as a “guest” or VM is NOT supported.

    I would suggest you re-visit what versions of the OS and office you are installing – this confusing on your part of OS and what version of office you are installing likely is going one big reason for so many of your issues and troubles here.

    I should also point out that the 2013 runtime download INCLUDES the SP updates. And SP updates to office or even downloading the SP update to office WILL NOT EFFECT OR FIX THE INSTALLED RUNTIME.

    This means for 2013 runtime the ONLY way to get SP updates is to un-install the order (without SP) runtime, and then re-install the updated runtime with SP included.

    Access 2010 runtime was the reverse of the above. The runtime download does NOT include the sp updates and you must install the specific runtime SP update to the 2010 runtime (again none of the SP updates to office or Access will fix this, you MUST use the specific runtime download SP update program for 2010).

    2013 runtime is better in that all new downloads and installs of the 2013 runtime includes the SP updates, but EXISTING installs have NO WAY to be updated – you have to un-install and then re-install the new version. Of course if you have full version of office then you will apply the SP updates to office and as noted the runtime install will not do anything nor install a version of Access for you.

    I hope above helps clear this up somewhat - but for 2013 runtime any and all SP updates are ignoered - you have to un-install the older runtime, and then download + install the latest runtime with SP udpates included.

    Best regards,

    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-13T15:16:13+00:00

    Glad I could be of help to you, Olaf. And thanks for the website plug. [smile]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-13T14:26:16+00:00

    Hi,

    found a solution:

    My Question

    "in this thread 

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2013\_release-access/access-2013-runtime-and-sp1/db6345d8-236f-498c-a5e1-263ebc5843b1?page=5

    you are talking about how to get the Access 2013 runtime to work.

    Is there a solution (by now - or do I just don't see it) that my Access is version 15.0.4615.1002 - but the runtime you can download is still the SP1 verison 15.0.4569.1506.

    I am not able to downgrade to this version - I have tried to do so, but when Office 2013 (Plus) installes again, it's directly updated.

    Consequently I am unable to create adddE files. I have installed Access AND the runtime as well on my PC: I can not even open the accdE (wrong version number)

    Sorry for the support question, but searching the web and MS forums there seemd no solution - yet."

    This email reply seems to have solved my problem:

    "As far as I know the 2013 SP1 runtime has been fixed. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that. Don’t expect the runtime version number to match the full version. That rarely happens. Just get the latest one.

    Installing both the full version and the runtime on the same computer is a big mistake. I strongly advise against that. If you are testing to see how a database will work under the runtime just create a copy of the file and change the extension to ACCDR."

    Reply was from  Bill Mosca, http://www.thatlldoit.com/

    What I did:

    "THANKS for your reply. I removed the runtime from my development PC - and - all of a sudden - it seems to work!

    On a test (virtual) PC (Win 7, 64 bit + 64bit Access Runtime) I was able to open a version which I had created with a 64bit version "full" Access. I did not try to create a 32 bit version (as I would need to install Office 32bit on a virtual machine for testing first) - but I guess it would also work."

    Olaf

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-10T17:35:06+00:00

    Hi

    this does not work! I got version 15.0.4615.1002 with the click to run update - and the Access runtime is older!

    Olaf

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments