Hi
I am experiencing the same issues when sorting large numbers of rows. However my issues start around 180,000 rows. My setup:
Dell Precision T5600 with two Intel Xeon ES-2667 processors (total of 24 cores) and 16GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit with SP1 and all MS recommended updates.
Windows 7 Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Microsoft Office 2013 64-Bit installed from DVD
Microsoft Excel 2013 (15.04615.1000) MSO (15.0.4615.1000) 64-Bit
To replicate:
- Run MS Excel and create a new blank spreadsheet
- Use RAND() function to fill cells A1 through A200000 with random numbers
- Copy range A1:A200000 and then Paste-Special Values. So now we have 200,000 random numbers
- Highlight range A1:A200000.
- Click on Data ribbon bar. Then click on Sort button
- Select "ColumnA" Sort by Values and "Smallest to Largest"
- Click OK
- See hour glass for a very brief moment but the data is not sorted.
Can sort smaller subsets however.
- Highlight range A1:A175000
- Click on Data ribbon bar. Then click on Sort button
- Select "ColumnA" Sort by Values and "Smallest to Largest"
- Click OK - Now the first 175,000 rows are sorted fine
If I try range A1:A180000 then it fails.
Performing the very same set of steps on my laptop with 32-Bit Windows 7 and 32-Bit MS Excel works just fine up to a million rows (as far as I tested)
In another thread, someone pointed to one possibility of the number of CPU cores available on the PC. Under File -> Options and then Advanced tab there is a section called "Formulas" that has a check box for "Enable Multi-threaded calculation". By default
it seems to have "Use all processors on this computer: 24" on my system. If I change this to "Manual" selection and choose "1", I still get the same problems with sorting.
Disabling Multi-threaded calculation has no effect on the problem either.
This is a debilitating bug that needs to be addressed very very quickly. I can not imagine how this escaped even the most basic of product testing.
p.s. while searching for solutions to my issues, I came across the press release that the "new" Excel will be able to "work with billions of rows". Please fix Excel so it can sort "thousands of rows" first.
Thanks
ETA: It might be nice if folks who are having this problem report on how many CPU cores they see in the setting "Use all processors on this computer: XX" as I suggested above. What I am thinking is that the bug may have to do with how Excel is trying to
split up the work among multiple CPU cores. The hypothesis being: Fewer cores = fewer problems = slightly larger data sets can be sorted.