Continual pop-up in Word 'Connecting to Office.Microsoft.com' asking for credentials

Anonymous
2014-07-23T17:37:31+00:00

Starting today when running Word, I am continually receiving the ‘Connecting ....’ message below. I have been running Office Home/Student 2010 for the past 4 years and have changed nothing in that time. I have tried repairing Office but a file is apparently missing. I have removed all entries from Credential Manager and I’m not running a Proxy Server.

What could it be?

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2014-08-04T19:58:05+00:00

I have been in contact with MS and have been informed that this issue is corrected in an update to Office 2007, 2010, and 2013. If you have one of these versions and have installed the latest updates, you should not be experiencing the problem. For Office 2003 and earlier, the manual Registry edit will be required.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-01T10:21:13+00:00

This problem may be caused by the translation service crash. Please use another service site to replace the current one.

Here you go:

  1. Windows + R, type regedit, press Enter
  2. Go to registry path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Research\Sources{88686849-2DD9-474D-9300-778E3336FA5D}
  3. Change both QueryPath and RegistrationPathfrom **http://office.microsoft.com/Research/query.asmx** to  **http://rr.office.microsoft.com/Research/query.asmx**
  4. Restart the Word 2010.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-23T19:06:11+00:00

Whoops, embarrassment personified.

I could have deleted this thread but decided to leave it as a reminder that computers don’t always behave the way we expect them to.

Evidently my 10 year old grandson was using this laptop this afternoon, which I allow him to do as he’s a clever little chap who has used Windows for about four years. He also likes to tinker and I have just discovered that he has been copying/updating from/to a USB memory stick which is plugged into the router (NAS) and accessed throughout the network.

In the past I have had minor ‘not ready’ issues when attempting to navigate the stick too quickly. I have just opened the stick and ‘repaired’ it and voila Word is back to normal.

Who would have thought that an external device could produce such an error in Word?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-19T15:24:30+00:00

    Thanks for the info.. your idea fixed the problem immediately

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-21T19:02:46+00:00

    Thanks! This worked for my Windows 7 Office 2010.

    This was the first time I dared try a registry edit.

    I could not understand your line #1.

    I made a guess and typed 'regedit' then Enter in the little search box below 'all Programs' at the bottom of the Start Menu. Thanks again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments