Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-27T00:40:21+00:00

    Hi

    Sorry I did try to send the document anyway, but for some reason the emails just keep getting stuck in my outbox (I've tried both email addresses) - perhaps even the shortened file is too big. I'll try loading the full document on a different computer which has Word 2010 tomorrow and see what happens. 

    I've used word 2010 on two different computers - the file worked properly on both.

    I've also tried word 2013 on another two additional computers - the pictures weren't showing properly on either.

    My problem is that I need to submit this document soon, and I only have word 2013 - I keep having to borrow other peoples computers, so I really need to get it working. 

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-25T22:34:27+00:00

    I do not appear to have received a document, probably because as Hannah said that when she copied "a few affected pictures into a file to send to Doug, (and) they seem to appear ok in the separate document (once saved and then re-opened)."

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-25T15:50:32+00:00

    Are both Office 2013 and 2010 installed on the same machine? If they are on different machines, how are the setups different?

    Also, I'd be interested in learning what Doug finds out when looking at the document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-23T00:01:49+00:00

    I'm not sure why the file would only be corrupted in word 2013, yet have absolutely no problems in word 2010? 

    Is there some sort of setting I can change in word 2013 to force it into using more memory?

    Many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-21T14:02:56+00:00

    Well, for a very large document, a resources issue is a possibility. The alternative is some sort of document corruption.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments