Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T09:07:06+00:00

    Hi

    No I'm afraid I didn't. It was the same thing with different images displaying each time I opened the file. I ended up using a different computer with Word 2010 on. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'd be interested to hear if there is a solution that now works.

    Best wishes

    Hannah

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T04:12:28+00:00

    Doug,

    See response to Jay below which answer's your query  (graphics inserted into the document have disappeared and now there is just an empty box with a red cross where the image should be with the note "the image part with relationship ID rId18 was not found in the file") + It doesn't print the disappeared images on the printer or PDF.

    Jay,

    The issue is just as your link explains (graphics inserted into the document have disappeared and now there is just an empty box with a red cross where the image should be with the note "the image part with relationship ID rId18 was not found in the file").

    But not all of the images, the document is about 50 pages and the first 15 pages show the images and then the images start to disappear spasmodically. It doesn't print the disappeared images on the printer or PDF.

    I have gone thorough all the suggestions in your link, checking and unchecking boxes, most images were in line with text anyway but it didn't make any difference when I changed the wrapped text back to in line. I am in Print Layout and single line spacing to all paragraphs. It did show the images when I was creating the document and they only disappeared the next day when I open the file. I have also tried opening in WORD 2101 to see it was a WORD 2013 issue but still no images.

    The link to the previous thread is below:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2013\_release-word/pictures-not-showing-in-word-2013-no-problem-with/3d75e675-5084-4fc9-92b2-bf87b20fd6c7?page=1

    Thanks for your interest.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-13T03:33:31+00:00

    Do you see anything in place of the images?  If you save the document as a pdf file, does that file contain all of the images?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-13T01:11:34+00:00

    Hannah,

    Did you solve your disappearing image problem?

    I have the same problem with a large word file with 50+ images that keep disappearing.

    Its very frustrating.

    Cheers

    Tim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-27T00:58:09+00:00

    If the emails are stuck in your outbox, it is not an issue with the addresses.

    As an alternative to emailing, upload a copy of the document to folder in your OneDrive and Share that folder and paste a link to it back here, or email the link to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments