Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-17T20:40:16+00:00

    You will have to upload the example file to OneDrive or Dropbox (or any cloud service of your choice), make the file public and post the link here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-15T22:43:20+00:00

    Stefan,

    Sorry about the name mix-up, yes I can send a sample of the doc through , how do I get it to you?

    I have extracted a couple of pages and it's about 4MB in size.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T00:39:54+00:00

    Jay,

    They are the little Red X's  I am seeing, but I am embedding them and not linking them so it hasn't resolved the issue.

    I am giving up on word and going to try InDesign which sounds more capable le for this sort of thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-14T00:38:16+00:00

    Hannah,

    Thanks for the response, I am not having any more luck than you did, I tried to run the file through 2010 and it still didn't work. So I now consider WORD as a bit of a dud and only good for basic stuff.

    I am giving up on WORD and going to try ADOBE InDesign which sounds more capable for this sort of document.

    That's how frustrated I am, I am going to buy and learn a completely new software system because WORD is incapable of what I consider the simplest task.

    It remains a mystery, maybe if Poirot was still alive he could sort it out.

    Cheers

    TP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-13T09:31:29+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments