Pictures not showing in Word 2013, no problem with same file in word 2010

Anonymous
2014-12-19T21:17:04+00:00

I have a large word file with numerous pictures inserted as TIFF files. In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen and when I print them. However, when opening the same file (saved as docx or doc - I've tried both) in Word 2013 not all pictures are visible and they don't convert to pdf or print out either. It varies between which ones are and which aren't so I don't think its a problem with the pictures themselves. The pictures come up as either blank white boxes or with a little red cross and the statement 'error picture cannot be displayed'.

All files are less than half a page and therefore shouldn't be affected by the error involving multipage TIFF files that I've seen mentioned.

I've formatted them as 'tight', however I've tried the other options and this doesn't appear to change anything. 

I've also been through the advanced settings options and deselected 'show pictures as placeholders'.

I'm not sure what else to do - I've tried playing around with all sorts including changing privacy options within the trust center. Any advice would be very much appreciated - I wish I'd just stuck with Word 2010!

Many thanks

Hannah

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T07:28:06+00:00

    I am a Lutheran Pastor and have been using Word to create our bulletins for years.  Using Word 2013 is still fairly recent for my secretary and I in this congregation.  We include numerous musical files within the text and we have been making our weekly bulletins more comprehensive, i.e.: larger files with more images.  Lately, we are experiencing the same problems with Word files across multiple computers:  images (tiff files of music images) disappearing and making the file impossible to edit or print.  Interestingly, my secretary has been reporting that her Mac does not have the same problem with the same files. 

    This is truly becoming a major impediment.  Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-18T13:34:59+00:00

    Timothy is not the OP (Hannah). He has been piggybacking on her post since the beginning of page 2. Hannah has posted only once since then, to reply to his post asking if she'd reached a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-18T09:20:57+00:00

    Apart from your assertions, I have seen no evidence that Word 2013 is inadequate for large documents with lots of images embedded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-18T04:57:35+00:00

    Doug,

    No, the pictures are not visible in 2010 and were never visible in 2010.

    Can we forget about 2010 as I only tried to open the file in 2010 out of desperation after someone mention along the way that their images reappeared in 2010.

    I created the document in 2013, the pictures disappeared in 2103 and the computer I am using has 2103.

    I would really like to know why Word 2013 is inadequate for large documents with lots of images imbedded.

    It should come with a warning to say "insert too many images and they will start to randomly disappear"!

    That would have been nice and saved me some time. I could have used a more appropriate software from the get go.

    I don't think it is too much to ask that a software package for creating documents with words and pictures can actually have words and pictures in it. I should get a refund.

    How hard is it? Insert picture, then you would reasonably expect the picture to be inserted and to stay inserted. Its not a difficult process, so where have all the pictures gone?????????

    Why!

    Why!

    Why!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-11-18T04:35:20+00:00

    I understood from your original post that "In Word 2010, the pictures are all visible on screen" and when you print them.   That however was not the case in Word 2010 here with the document downloaded from your OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments