Can't delete text box in PowerPoint

Anonymous
2014-02-06T06:17:02+00:00

I've recently had a problem deleting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I'm able to select the box by clicking on the box perimeter (which changers the little circles and squares at the perimeter from open to solid, as it should).  But when I hit delete, it deletes the last text character within the box, rather than the box itself.  I also can't copy the box.   When I select the box and hit command-C, I hear a little whish, signifying (I suppose) an disallowed action.  The boxes in question are not part of a slide background.  This problem does not occur with pictures.

I've found a workaround which is to select the box differently, namely by dragging the cursor around the box with the mouse button held down.  Then I can (sometimes) delete or copy it.  Still looking for a real fix.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-15T21:34:15+00:00

I stumbled on a fix today.  

Under system preferences, chose Keyboard, then chose Shortcuts, and then at the bottom under Full Keyboard Access, click the "All controls" radio button. 

Previously, the "Text boxes and lists only" radio button was selected.  I can recreate the problem by clicking this other radio button, i.e. the fix is fully reversible.  I don't think I ever touched either of these buttons before yesterday.

I believe this fix completely resolves for me the issues with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint. 

Note that it's very puzzling that a system tabbing option should have anything to do with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I expect there is still an underlying bug.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2014-02-06T16:05:57+00:00

    Since you didn't specify your present update level I'd suggest you confirm it first... 14.3.9 is the current version. Use Help> Check for Updates in order to bring Office to that level.

    Once the software is current run Disk Utility to repair disk permissions & restart your Mac.

    If the problem persists please include any additional details in your reply. Be sure to indicate whether this happens in a specific file or whether it occurs in all files, including new ones. If the issue is with one specific file please provide detail about the origin & history of the file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-06T23:54:00+00:00

    Thanks Bob.

    I upgraded to 14.3.9 and ran the Disk Utility repair disk sequence (all went smooth) but the problem persists.

    The problem occurs with all files I've tried lately, old and new, ppt and pptx.

    On further playing around, I've realized that, just as the my work-around was intermittent, so is the problem itself.  Sometimes clicking the box border and hitting delete actually works. 

    The odds of success seem to increase if I click many times in rapid succession on the box border.  The problem occurs with the built-in touchpad (MacBook Pro), as well as an external (old-fashioned USB) mouse.  My multiclicking workaround has a higher success rate with the external mouse (perhaps because this allows more rapid fire clicking?). 

    One measure that I'm succeeding in grabbing the text box is that I have no trouble moving it.  The problem is with deletion or copying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2014-02-07T12:42:23+00:00

    OK, unless there is a problem at the system level I'm thinking that it may be a corrupt preferences file. Try this;

    1. Quit all Office apps
    2. Go to ~/UserName/Library/Preferences
    3. Locate & delete the file named com.microsoft.Powerpoint.plist
    4. Empty the Trash

    See if things are right when you next launch the program.

    [Note that if you're using OS X 10.7 or later Apple has chosen to Hide the Library folders for User Accounts. If you aren't familiar with accessing it see this Apple KB.]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-07T15:59:26+00:00

    Thanks Bob.  Unfortunately, the steps of deleting the com.microsoft.Powerpoint.plst file etc. didn't help.  The problem persists.  If it's relevant, I'm using OS 10.9.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments