Can't delete text box in PowerPoint

Anonymous
2014-02-06T06:17:02+00:00

I've recently had a problem deleting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I'm able to select the box by clicking on the box perimeter (which changers the little circles and squares at the perimeter from open to solid, as it should).  But when I hit delete, it deletes the last text character within the box, rather than the box itself.  I also can't copy the box.   When I select the box and hit command-C, I hear a little whish, signifying (I suppose) an disallowed action.  The boxes in question are not part of a slide background.  This problem does not occur with pictures.

I've found a workaround which is to select the box differently, namely by dragging the cursor around the box with the mouse button held down.  Then I can (sometimes) delete or copy it.  Still looking for a real fix.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-15T21:34:15+00:00

I stumbled on a fix today.  

Under system preferences, chose Keyboard, then chose Shortcuts, and then at the bottom under Full Keyboard Access, click the "All controls" radio button. 

Previously, the "Text boxes and lists only" radio button was selected.  I can recreate the problem by clicking this other radio button, i.e. the fix is fully reversible.  I don't think I ever touched either of these buttons before yesterday.

I believe this fix completely resolves for me the issues with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint. 

Note that it's very puzzling that a system tabbing option should have anything to do with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I expect there is still an underlying bug.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-07T05:41:08+00:00

    This thread was a real gift.

    Have to finish a PPT presentation for tomorrow..

    Problem started today on an MBAir running 10.7.5 with apple wifi Kboard and mouse.

    I could not get textbox edit to work even with right shift, double click menu selection or whatever.

    I did the plist thing, the ppt toolbars thing and then the restart in safe.

    Connected an older hardwired KB and mouse for safe restart and UNCONNECTED the thunderbolt screen. Text box editing then worked fine.

    Back to pre-fix arrangement and everything working fine again.........

    THANK YOU MY VIRTUAL FRIENDS.......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2014-12-11T19:58:40+00:00

    I read a suggestion to hold the SHIFT key down as you select the text box or click into the text box and then press the delete key on the keyboard. If this has already been suggestion, my apologies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-08T00:39:42+00:00

    Have you run Microsoft Language Register application? It's in

    Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Additional Tools:Microsoft Language Register

    I tried doing this. This does not seem to change the situation. Indeed this does enable some features specific to editing in Japanese language but I still cannot delete the textboxes without first changing the input language of Mac to US English.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2014-12-07T16:26:59+00:00

    Have you run Microsoft Language Register application? It's in

    Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Additional Tools:Microsoft Language Register

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments