Can't delete text box in PowerPoint

Anonymous
2014-02-06T06:17:02+00:00

I've recently had a problem deleting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I'm able to select the box by clicking on the box perimeter (which changers the little circles and squares at the perimeter from open to solid, as it should).  But when I hit delete, it deletes the last text character within the box, rather than the box itself.  I also can't copy the box.   When I select the box and hit command-C, I hear a little whish, signifying (I suppose) an disallowed action.  The boxes in question are not part of a slide background.  This problem does not occur with pictures.

I've found a workaround which is to select the box differently, namely by dragging the cursor around the box with the mouse button held down.  Then I can (sometimes) delete or copy it.  Still looking for a real fix.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-15T21:34:15+00:00

I stumbled on a fix today.  

Under system preferences, chose Keyboard, then chose Shortcuts, and then at the bottom under Full Keyboard Access, click the "All controls" radio button. 

Previously, the "Text boxes and lists only" radio button was selected.  I can recreate the problem by clicking this other radio button, i.e. the fix is fully reversible.  I don't think I ever touched either of these buttons before yesterday.

I believe this fix completely resolves for me the issues with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint. 

Note that it's very puzzling that a system tabbing option should have anything to do with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I expect there is still an underlying bug.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-09T00:43:30+00:00

    And I'm not aware of any similar issues in other apps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-09T00:42:52+00:00

    Bob,

    It was not trivial to get PowerPoint to run in a new User Account, but I did eventually succeed.  The problem does NOT occur in that account.

    To your other questions, this is a new installation on a new Mac.

    All was fine until about a week ago.  The only app I recall installing recently was called GoToOffice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2014-02-08T17:05:17+00:00

    See what happens when you run the program in a new User Account.

    Do you have any similar issues in other apps?

    Did you migrate Office to a new Mac? Is this a new installation? Or...

    Was all fine in an existing installation then the problem started? If so, what else may have changed on the Mac at around the same time?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-07T15:59:26+00:00

    Thanks Bob.  Unfortunately, the steps of deleting the com.microsoft.Powerpoint.plst file etc. didn't help.  The problem persists.  If it's relevant, I'm using OS 10.9.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments