Can't delete text box in PowerPoint

Anonymous
2014-02-06T06:17:02+00:00

I've recently had a problem deleting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I'm able to select the box by clicking on the box perimeter (which changers the little circles and squares at the perimeter from open to solid, as it should).  But when I hit delete, it deletes the last text character within the box, rather than the box itself.  I also can't copy the box.   When I select the box and hit command-C, I hear a little whish, signifying (I suppose) an disallowed action.  The boxes in question are not part of a slide background.  This problem does not occur with pictures.

I've found a workaround which is to select the box differently, namely by dragging the cursor around the box with the mouse button held down.  Then I can (sometimes) delete or copy it.  Still looking for a real fix.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-15T21:34:15+00:00

I stumbled on a fix today.  

Under system preferences, chose Keyboard, then chose Shortcuts, and then at the bottom under Full Keyboard Access, click the "All controls" radio button. 

Previously, the "Text boxes and lists only" radio button was selected.  I can recreate the problem by clicking this other radio button, i.e. the fix is fully reversible.  I don't think I ever touched either of these buttons before yesterday.

I believe this fix completely resolves for me the issues with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint. 

Note that it's very puzzling that a system tabbing option should have anything to do with selecting text boxes in PowerPoint.  I expect there is still an underlying bug.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-28T15:12:54+00:00

    I had the same issue and spent a wasted few hours before arriving at this post. Thanks Ralph!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-22T13:59:51+00:00

    I have had exactly the same issue as described by others, I deleted all prefs, reinstalled software to no effect. This 'fix' worked for me too, wish Id found this thread sooner!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-16T20:06:47+00:00

    Same issue : When opening a Powerpoint file the cursor is directed in the first text box when clicking on any slide and the tab "Format" appears in the top of Powerpoint menu.... Then it becomes impossible to select any element of the slide.... as one of the text box is by default selected and opened for a text edition and text modification

    I did the following with no success (Don't loose your time) : 

    • Delete Office 2011 and all the files (As presented by Microsoft : Applications, Library files and Documents files ...
    • Reinstall Office 2011 from scratch
    • Reset SMC
    • I am right now trying to reinstall OSX Mavericks (I let you know ...)

    Nothing works... 

    I observe the following :

    • Other users of the same Mac don't have this issue
    • The provided solution "system preferences, chose Keyboard, then chose Shortcuts, and then at the bottom under Full Keyboard Access, click the "All controls" radio button" offers a partial solution 
      • When opening powerpoint file "Tab Format still appears" and a text box is opened by default
      • But now I can also leave the text box and select/erase/edit/modify any object in the slide

    Any Idea to definitively sort out this issue ????

    Thank in advance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-03T11:21:57+00:00

    The text boxes has been driving me crazy. Now, after clicking on the "All controls" radio button, text boxes and objects seem to be working normally. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments