PowerPoint 2013 - Kiosk Mode with Touch Enabled - Touch does not work with Mouse Click Action Configured on Text Boxes

Anonymous
2012-12-31T22:53:37+00:00

When I create a PPT 2013 presentation with my Surface RT tablet that has touch mode enabled and has text Boxes labeled with menu selections with a mouse click action to go to a slide within the presentation based upon what the user chooses in the menu of the first slide. I am able to trigger the action with a mouse or touch.  When I enable kiosk mode, I loose the touch capability, only the mouse works.

I want to create a kiosk presentation with PowerPoint 2013 that has touch capability to start on the first slide via a menu with multiple paths in my PowerPoint presentation based on what the user wants to see and then have it return back to the first slide.

Also noticed, that if the user holds their finger down on the screen long enough over the presentation, PowerPoint will show controls on the bottom (left/right arrows, close, etc.)  The close button works and this is not good.  This is the case when saving as a PPSX file or within PowerPoint using preview.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Carl

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-22T10:26:37+00:00

    Just by way of clarification of my original post, ours is a museum situation where the first page of our presentation is a village map with multiple hotspots hyperlinked to a series of subsequent pages holding details of individual dwellings, former residents etc.

    The initial problem we had was that touch wouldn’t work with Kiosk mode enabled. We therefore disabled Kiosk mode only to discover that clumsy visitors were tapping the screen in a way that the screen interpreted as a gesture (e.g. magnify the image). That changed the location of the visual indicators of the hotspots whilst the hotspots themselves remained in the original locations. The result, of course, was that tapping on the visual indicators ceased to have any effect.

    We reverted to an earlier version of Powerpoint.  This addressed the Kiosk mode issue though we still have the lesser problem of the charms bar still being available to anyone so minded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-22T11:36:50+00:00

    I believe the real reason why PowerPoint 2013 is not touch enabled in kiosk mode is due to Windows 8 and its annoying charms bar. Why else lock out touch in what could be marketed as an easy, affordable, interactive digital signage. Using Windows 7 and a touch screen overlay worked for us, but windows 10 may offer hope with the removal of the charms bar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-10-22T20:34:51+00:00

    >> #3 is clearly a bug.  From some of the other comments, it seems like you guys would like hyperlinks + touch + kiosk mode to work and I agree.  It should work the same as the mouse.

    We can all agree on that ... great. 

    >> Being able to navigate the presentation with touch in kiosk mode (outside of hyperlinks) is most likely not going to get approved.  In this scenario, what does kiosk mode provide that normal slideshow would be insufficient?

    I don't think anyone's asking for that.  The ask seems to be "Make it work with touch like it does with a pen or with the mouse."  Hyperlinks and (important!) action buttons as well.  

    I wouldn't get sidetracked by the part about macros ... unless I miss my guess, the situation is that the user's added action buttons with the action set to Run Macro.  When clicked during a show, the requested macro runs.  And if it works the same with touch as with pen/mouse, that'd be good to go also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-23T17:50:38+00:00

    Just a quick update.  I have fixed the problem and getting it checked into our main codebase shouldn't be a problem.

    Again, I have to stress this.  I cannot guarantee that the powers-at-be will approve it for back porting to Office 2013.  I will try my hardest to convince them.  The fix is fairly safe and only affects kiosk mode, but, again, I can't promise anything.

    Also, I discovered there's a PPT option already for turning off the SlideShow toolbar!  Yay, don't have to fix that one :).  If you're wondering: File -> options -> advanced -> find slideshow section -> click the checkbox next to "Show SlideShow toolbar" or whatever it's named.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-10-23T18:04:19+00:00

    Ryan:  APPLAUSE!

    Thanks for jumping on this so quickly and for anything you can do to get it sent Back To The (past) Future.  Had to sneak that in somehow, right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments