PowerPoint 2013 - Kiosk Mode with Touch Enabled - Touch does not work with Mouse Click Action Configured on Text Boxes

Anonymous
2012-12-31T22:53:37+00:00

When I create a PPT 2013 presentation with my Surface RT tablet that has touch mode enabled and has text Boxes labeled with menu selections with a mouse click action to go to a slide within the presentation based upon what the user chooses in the menu of the first slide. I am able to trigger the action with a mouse or touch.  When I enable kiosk mode, I loose the touch capability, only the mouse works.

I want to create a kiosk presentation with PowerPoint 2013 that has touch capability to start on the first slide via a menu with multiple paths in my PowerPoint presentation based on what the user wants to see and then have it return back to the first slide.

Also noticed, that if the user holds their finger down on the screen long enough over the presentation, PowerPoint will show controls on the bottom (left/right arrows, close, etc.)  The close button works and this is not good.  This is the case when saving as a PPSX file or within PowerPoint using preview.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Carl

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-27T16:51:36+00:00

    Hello Ryan and other readers,

    I've been programming on Microsoft products since Basic-80/Basic-69 : you and most of your team are probably too young to know those products ;-) lol). This is the first time, in my career that I have one ... no two of my wishes answered by Microsoft. I feel like the Creator of the Matrix has interceded in my favour!!! Fixing those 2 things would be Awesome.

    As for our project, I had to ask permission (took a little time - the reason for my delay) and yes, I can show and explain our project. But, of course, I cannot publish the whole code. If you have question, please do ask and feel free to talk about our PowerPoint based custom e-learning system.

    I also want to take the opportunity to thank PPT MVPs like Steve Rindsberg and the others : Thank you so much for your work! You are an important part of the PPT community. Appreciated.

    You can contact me by email but I did not feel confortable publishing my adress on a forum. But for you and others who would like to know more about our project, you will be able to write me if you can decode my email :

    Base64 UTF-8:           cGFsYWRpbjc3N0Bob3RtYWlsLmNvbQ==

    Thank you Ryan, thank you also to the whole Ms PPT team and MVPs for your great work.

    How would the fix be provided? ... and when would we able to test/use it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-24T01:32:18+00:00

    Zach, thank you for your description of your scenario.  Please help me understand why normal slideshow was not sufficient for you scenario.  I know that I'm being a bit of a hassle but I need as much information as I can to be able to sell code changes, especially to in-market products that don't get updated often.

    Normal slideshow wasn't suffice because it allows the user to open up the menu at the bottom left by click-holding which allows the user to close the presentation. This also allows the user to swipe from either side to go through my presentation linearly instead of to specific slides based on the buttons they click.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-10-23T18:04:19+00:00

    Ryan:  APPLAUSE!

    Thanks for jumping on this so quickly and for anything you can do to get it sent Back To The (past) Future.  Had to sneak that in somehow, right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-23T17:50:38+00:00

    Just a quick update.  I have fixed the problem and getting it checked into our main codebase shouldn't be a problem.

    Again, I have to stress this.  I cannot guarantee that the powers-at-be will approve it for back porting to Office 2013.  I will try my hardest to convince them.  The fix is fairly safe and only affects kiosk mode, but, again, I can't promise anything.

    Also, I discovered there's a PPT option already for turning off the SlideShow toolbar!  Yay, don't have to fix that one :).  If you're wondering: File -> options -> advanced -> find slideshow section -> click the checkbox next to "Show SlideShow toolbar" or whatever it's named.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-10-22T20:34:51+00:00

    >> #3 is clearly a bug.  From some of the other comments, it seems like you guys would like hyperlinks + touch + kiosk mode to work and I agree.  It should work the same as the mouse.

    We can all agree on that ... great. 

    >> Being able to navigate the presentation with touch in kiosk mode (outside of hyperlinks) is most likely not going to get approved.  In this scenario, what does kiosk mode provide that normal slideshow would be insufficient?

    I don't think anyone's asking for that.  The ask seems to be "Make it work with touch like it does with a pen or with the mouse."  Hyperlinks and (important!) action buttons as well.  

    I wouldn't get sidetracked by the part about macros ... unless I miss my guess, the situation is that the user's added action buttons with the action set to Run Macro.  When clicked during a show, the requested macro runs.  And if it works the same with touch as with pen/mouse, that'd be good to go also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments