PowerPoint 2013 - Kiosk Mode with Touch Enabled - Touch does not work with Mouse Click Action Configured on Text Boxes

Anonymous
2012-12-31T22:53:37+00:00

When I create a PPT 2013 presentation with my Surface RT tablet that has touch mode enabled and has text Boxes labeled with menu selections with a mouse click action to go to a slide within the presentation based upon what the user chooses in the menu of the first slide. I am able to trigger the action with a mouse or touch.  When I enable kiosk mode, I loose the touch capability, only the mouse works.

I want to create a kiosk presentation with PowerPoint 2013 that has touch capability to start on the first slide via a menu with multiple paths in my PowerPoint presentation based on what the user wants to see and then have it return back to the first slide.

Also noticed, that if the user holds their finger down on the screen long enough over the presentation, PowerPoint will show controls on the bottom (left/right arrows, close, etc.)  The close button works and this is not good.  This is the case when saving as a PPSX file or within PowerPoint using preview.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Carl

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-10-21T14:43:19+00:00

    Hi Ryan,

    As the user has mentioned, if they've set up an interactive presentation on a touch-enabled device, users will be able to use normal viewing gestures to e.g. advance from one slide to the next.  Typically in one of these presentations, the developer adds the navigation features they WANT the user to work with (links, action buttons, etc) and use KIOSK mode specifically to disable any of PPT's usual nav features.

    Example usage:  

    Any museum these days, especially ones that cater to kids/younger adults, will have interactive displays that let the visitors look up information and so on.  

    I've seen several interactive building directories; the Home page might be nothing more than an alphabet, with each character a link to a different page that lists all of the companies/doctors/residents in the building whose names begin with the selected letter.

    My guess is that you'd offer far greater benefit to users by ENABLING kiosk mode on touch devices.  That would still allow for using non-kiosk mode where desired, and if the end user doesn't want to permit interactivity in kiosk mode, they can simply not provide any navigation buttons.  Or put the screen behind plexiglass.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-21T14:23:59+00:00

    I also wanted to use the Kiosk with touch-enabled.  I created the Powerpoint intended for use on a Microsoft Surface.  It allows very interesting Powerpoints to be created, instead of a linear presentation it acts more like an app.  I was able to create a Powerpoint in an hour, emulating an application I was to develop, handed it to UI folks to give feedback on design prior to even starting the code.  Unfortunately I had to deliver the Powerpoint on a PC and have people use the mouse and tell them to imagine it as touch screen, not nearly as helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-21T01:54:47+00:00

    Hello Ryan,

    While Power Point makes a great presentation as a SlideShow kiosk, it's better if the user can interact with the program, such as touching an action button to hyperlink to another page, or press an action button to play a video or sound. I used Powerpoint Viewer as a work around, it allowed me to use Power Point in kiosk mode with touch enabled. The other issue is Windows 8 charms bar, that allows to swipe in from the side, (and people to get into your computer!). The second kiosk I built, I used a windows 7 PC connected to a touch screen overlay kit, with PowerPoint Viewer.

    I think you will find that most people today want to use PowerPoint Presentations as an interactive program in Kiosk Mode, not only as a static presentations in shopping centres (malls), but it can be used as a learning tool in schools and in the workplace.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T19:44:56+00:00

    Hello,

    I am a developer on PowerPoint and wrote a significant chunk of the touch handling.  Yes, we very much care.  It does make me sad that code that I was a part of is causing you pain.

    Just a little background.  Touch in kiosk mode was purposefully disabled.  I did a quick peek and found a comment in the code "// In Kiosk Mode, only tool bar is available" inside our touch handling which verified my memory (this was some four years ago... had to make sure :)).

    Consider this scenario: a vendor is using PPT to display slides to an audience on a touch monitor in a mall.  They definitely want touch to be disabled so users do not change the SlideShow.  That is most common kiosk scenario and what we usually design around (hence, our decision).

    However, that's not to say that your scenario is not also important.  Would you be so kind as to explain in detail your scenario?  Especially, can you explain why kiosk mode is required beyond normal slideshow?  This will help me (and the rest of the PowerPoint team) understand how our application is being used and to better design for other scenarios. 

    Perhaps we need a setting that allows touch in kiosk mode.  I can't promise anything, though.  Once I understand your scenario, I will describe it to our team and we will discuss it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T17:06:57+00:00

    Hello,

    We are October 2015, even with all the latest updates, PowerPoint2013 is still NOT able to use TOUCH screens on "shapes", "action buttons" or even simple "HyperLinks".

    We have developped a complete system based on PPT2013 with VBA with SQL Server backend.

    The application NEEDS to be run in KIOSK mode.

    The application function if the user has a STILET (PEN) on a TABLET but the TOUCH with finger only works with OLD PREHISTORICAL ActiveX (CommandButton etc). We CANNOT force our users to buy/use a pen on TOUCH tablets.

    We have read forums, searched the internet, etc... no way to get 'finger' TOUCH working on PPT2013.

    It's been more than 2 years... What is Microsoft doing? What's the priority on this? Don't they care about Powerpoint VBA developpers?

    Can someone help us?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments