How do I make the footers different on every page on Microsoft Word?

Anonymous
2012-04-10T14:11:06+00:00

I can make even and odd pages have different footers, but I want page 4's to be different from page 2's and page 5's from page 3's.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-10T18:00:04+00:00

To actually create a new footer for each page, you'll need a section break at the end of each page (and you'll have to unlink the relevant footers). But in what respect should footers be different? For example, if you want to include text from the page, you can format that text in a unique style and then make use of the STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-28T00:04:34+00:00

    I was experiencing a similar problem. Are you trying to use a footer or a footnote? I did not understand the difference between the two. I was writing a paper where I was told to put citations in the footer, but obviously I did not want the same information on every page. So I inserted footnotes where I needed my citations, and these can be different for each page. I may be misinterpreting your issue, but wanted to offer this suggestion in case your problem was similar to mine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-29T14:18:29+00:00

    Can you write out the text of what you want to see on the bottom of pages 1 through 5?

    If the only difference from page to page is the page numbers, the Insert ribbon has a Page Number tool to do just that.   Otherwise try its Header or Footer tool, use the Blank one, then examine the tools on the new Header & Footer Tools ribbon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T15:56:19+00:00

    I'm trying to do the same thing - Put different footers on pages that relate to a table of contents, which is within a larger Word document. I've done page breaks at both the top and bottom of the page which should have a unique footer. When I type the footer in it still appears on all other pages. how do I unlink it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T16:15:29+00:00

    A Footer is a repeating piece of text that appears at the bottom of every page in a section. Examples include page numbers, Chapter Titles, Section names.

    A Footnote is an extra tidbit of information relevant to one specific portion of the body text on a given page. Footnotes are marked in the body of the text with numbers usually but can also be marked with symbols (*, +). Footnotes are frequently used in scientific and research publications. Endnotes are similar to footnotes except the extra informational ext occurs all together in a separate section at the end the document, but still tracks numerically. Footnotes and Endnotes are controlled with the same tool in MS Word - the Footnotes group of the Page Layout tab. Footnotes actually appear on a page ABOVE the footer.

    Does that help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments