How do I make the footers different on every page on Microsoft Word?

Anonymous
2012-04-10T14:11:06+00:00

I can make even and odd pages have different footers, but I want page 4's to be different from page 2's and page 5's from page 3's.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-10T18:00:04+00:00

To actually create a new footer for each page, you'll need a section break at the end of each page (and you'll have to unlink the relevant footers). But in what respect should footers be different? For example, if you want to include text from the page, you can format that text in a unique style and then make use of the STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-10T18:28:20+00:00

    I agree with Stefan, you will need multiple section breaks for legitamatly different footers. Can you paint us a better picture of exactly what you need to accomplish?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-09-20T17:59:31+00:00

    I had a similar question basically i have tons of subscrit numbers so instead of putting in the text refer to page 3 for example. I put a subscrit number and then in the footer put 1. Refer to page 3 for bank documentation supporting my claims. and so on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-09-20T18:17:21+00:00

    I believe you are describing footnotes. There is a built-in function for footnotes in Word. You'll find it on the References tab if you are using Word 2007 or 2010. (In Word 2003, click Insert | Reference | Footnote.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-20T18:42:44+00:00

    I can make even and odd pages have different footers, but I want page 4's to be different from page 2's and page 5's from page 3's.

    Headers and footers change only per section.  Every section can have a first page different from the rest, and odd pages different from even pages, so there are a maximum of three headers and three footers per section: first page, odd page and even page.

    It seems like you have to go to the bottom of page 3 and insert a section break that begins on a new page.  By default both sections will have all the same properties, and the headers and footers are linked, so you have to first go to pages 4 and 5 to break that "link to previous" as it's called.  Then you can change page 4's and 5's header and footer without chaning 2's and 3's.

    The somewhat more techie way is to go into the odd and even headers and put in an IF fieldcode whose condition depends on the PAGENUMBER field code, but that gets messy very easily...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments