How do I make the footers different on every page on Microsoft Word?

Anonymous
2012-04-10T14:11:06+00:00

I can make even and odd pages have different footers, but I want page 4's to be different from page 2's and page 5's from page 3's.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-10T18:00:04+00:00

To actually create a new footer for each page, you'll need a section break at the end of each page (and you'll have to unlink the relevant footers). But in what respect should footers be different? For example, if you want to include text from the page, you can format that text in a unique style and then make use of the STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-06-24T17:20:29+00:00

    You need section breaks (not page breaks). Assuming that you are using Word 2007 or later, click Page Layout tab | Breaks | Next Page; this inserts a section break at the insertion point. Double-click the header to activate the header/footer view. Click in the footer and click to deselect the "Link to Previous" option on the Header & Footer Tools Design tab. Repeat this for each new section you have added.

    Again, I don't recommend using section breaks like this. Sections are separate, in the sense that you can't have text flow from one section to the next. Also, if you add "excessive" text, a section will spill over to the next page, duplicating the footer. In other words, the document will be more difficult to maintain, if you edit it a lot.

    What kind of content is it that you want to add to your footers? As I asked in a previous message, are footers repeating content already present on the page? Please explain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T17:04:48+00:00

    Thanks for the attempt. I am indeed talking about footers, not footnotes. I am simply trying to get an elaboration on the original answer. Stefan says to insert page breaks and unlink from other footers but I am unsure on how to unlink the unique footer from any other ones.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T17:00:36+00:00

    No, I was trying to ask Stepfan Blom to elaborate on his original response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-06-24T16:57:05+00:00

    I'm trying to do the same thing - Put different footers on pages that relate to a table of contents, which is within a larger Word document. I've done page breaks at both the top and bottom of the page which should have a unique footer. When I type the footer in it still appears on all other pages. how do I unlink it?

    Like Moe, I suspect you are confusing footers with footnotes. This is easy enough to do.

    See Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word 2007-2013 for information on how to create and edit footers.

    If the different information you want on a footer appears in the body of the page, the simple method is to not have different footers but to use a StyleRef Field in the footer to repeat information from the body.

    Note that you have posted this in a "thread" that is more than a year old and which has been marked "Answered" by the original poster. You would probably have more luck getting an answer that will help you if you create a new question. That way people responding will know which version of Word you are using, and on which operating system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments