How do I make the footers different on every page on Microsoft Word?

Anonymous
2012-04-10T14:11:06+00:00

I can make even and odd pages have different footers, but I want page 4's to be different from page 2's and page 5's from page 3's.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-10T18:00:04+00:00

To actually create a new footer for each page, you'll need a section break at the end of each page (and you'll have to unlink the relevant footers). But in what respect should footers be different? For example, if you want to include text from the page, you can format that text in a unique style and then make use of the STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T18:20:37+00:00

    Hello Charles,

    It's nice to meet an attorney who knows how to use his technology! I'm a technology instructor to law firms during the day. May I look for you on LInkedIN?

    -Monica L. Sandler, MCT

    aka Cool Moe Z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T18:11:45+00:00

    Section breaks shouldn't be a problem, as really what I'm trying to do here is denote different sections of a safety reference manual. So making them into official separate sections seems logical. but I still can't get the footer to be unique to a section.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-24T18:03:12+00:00

    I am looking to put "page numbers" (not traditional numbering) on a section of my 37 page document. This section I'm trying to edit has numbering like 1-1, 1-2; 2-1, 2-2, 2-3; 3-1; 4-1, 4-2, etc. which is what I'm trying to put in the footer, along with the subsection's title. none of the text for the footer is on the actual page, rather on a table of contents at the beginning of this section. It's more like a novel, with the chapeter name and page number, except that neither of them are consistant for more than two pages.

    I've tried the section break but inserting a footer into section two still copies it onto all the pages in section one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-06-24T17:53:32+00:00

    To reiterate Stefan's admonition, if you put Section breaks at the end of each page you are going to have a major headache editing this document. To most users, sections are invisible until they bump into them. Each section can have three different headers and three different footers that appear on different pages. The link I gave previously shows how to insert section breaks and use them.

    Again, look into the StyleRef field if what you want in the footer appears in the body of the document. Using this field you can have different content in the header/footer on every page but only have one header or footer as far as Word is concerned without the need for additional sections.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments