My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-28T17:25:19+00:00

    Same issue here. I uninstalled Skype Click to Call and the Paste/Format Painter problem went away right after.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-28T17:35:27+00:00

    I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

    Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

    Please someone help because I need this for work :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-28T22:52:23+00:00

    Uninstalling Skype Click to Call completely solved my problem with format painter (which didn't work at all) and other problems like I couldn't cut and then insert cut cells, Copy and Paste didn't keep source formatting or even offer me the option of keeping source formatting.

    This answer has made my day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-29T10:47:10+00:00

    Yes, this worked for me too. I find it amusing that Skype worked fine and Office worked fine, then MS bought Skype, and by "updating" Skype, broke their core products - well done!! I imagine the Skype team might get a bit of a roasting from the Office team any day now... :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments