My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-14T05:30:23+00:00

    I haven't heard of that specific problem. The first thing I'd try is an Office repair. I don't expect it to work, but it won't hurt anything and it may work.

    Repair or Uninstall Office 2010 / 2007 - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1

    I suspect it is a problem with an addin that is acting up. But there are some trouble shooting procedures for you to try to help pin point the problem:

    How to trouble shoot Excel 2000-2007 start up problems http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280504

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919196

    **NOTE:**part of this procedure is disabling addins. If you want to take a shortcut, check to see if you have a BlueTooth addin installed. Various BlueTooth addins have been identified as the cause of problems with many different “random” symptoms. If you have a BlueTooth add, disable it.

    If that doesn't work, then try this more aggressive uninstall (followed by re-install) procedure:

    Also uninstall Office Trial editions and any other Office-related programs such as "Office Activation Assistant" and any Office Viewer programs from the Programs applet in Control Panel. But you don't have to uninstall Office Starter if you have it. Then make sure to reboot TWICE (sorry, I don’t know why, but there appears to be some “Voodoo” at play here. We do it because it works!) after completing repair or uninstall.


    How to troubleshoot errors when you save Excel files - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271513


    Opening Corrupt Excel files - http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/CorruptFiles.asp

    Use a Spare User Account to Trouble shoot Windows Problems -http://www.pcworld.com/article/218437/reader\_qanda\_trouble shoot\_windows\_tweak\_office\_add\_usb\_ports.html?tk=nl\_sbx\_h\_cbstories

    Recently a couple readers wrote to me with very similar problems. One was having trouble getting Internet Explorer to run; the other, Windows Explorer.

    In other words, a couple of Windows' own built-in tools were broken. (Note to Microsoft: That should not happen. Come on!)

    Usually, for situations like these, I recommend an end-run around the problem. Internet Explorer won't work? Install Firefox or Chrome and use that instead. Can't load Windows Explorer? Switch to any number of even better Windows Explorer replacements.

    Of course, that doesn't really solve the problem. If you're hoping to fix your broken tool, you'll need to do a little trouble shooting. To start, I recommend switching to (or creating) another user account, then seeing if Explorer runs properly. If it does, you've narrowed down the problem significantly (and should consider "moving" to a new user account permanently). If not, well, back to square one.

    Either way, it's a simple method of figuring out how deeply rooted into Windows the problem is. And that will help considerably as you Google-search for an actual fix (assuming there is one--sometimes these things can be resolved only by reinstalling Windows).Make the Office 2007/2010 Toolbars More Familiar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T11:49:31+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T12:22:07+00:00

    There is a known issue with Copy/Paste in Excel 2010 associated with open internet browsers.  See:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/problem-with-copy-paste-in-excel-2010/cca7eb06-4815-4d3b-a9c1-08f0ddecf0a2

    I suggest you close all browsers and then re-try Excel.  Please post back on your results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T12:55:18+00:00

    Closing the browser helped ServiceDeskWC with copy/paste problem in another nearby discussion.  Unfortunately he hasn't let us know just which browser and version of it he's using.  But the OS is Win 7 Pro with Office Home & Business 2010 (not specified whether it was 32 or 64bit version).  So maybe closing the browser helped with this also and he'll let us know which browser plays into this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments