My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-09T12:22:14+00:00

    An office repair was a bad suggestion.  The better one was to remove add-ins in any program running or to try the problem in safe mode.  If safe mode or disable add-ins works then you could logically say something that was added in was the issue.

    But please don't just suggest office repair.  That can add thousands of changes into the issue and really truly muddy the water before more focused trouble shooting is done.

    Start with other programs running,  run one thing at a time and don't "assume" the issue is inside office.  A repair is not something that should be suggested as an early troubleshooting step.

    As it turns of the issue is a known bug with Skype Point-to-Click which is apparently hooking the paste function.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-09T09:29:38+00:00

    I installed Skype Click to Call on 3/17/2012 (5.10.9560) and I noticed the Paste Special issue across all my Office 2010 apps (on Win 7, Chrome 17.0.963.79) whenever I opened Google Chrome. 

    I just uninstalled Skype Click to Call and the problem has been solved! I did not have to uninstall Skype 5.5.124.

    Thank you so much, this is spot-on.  I installed Skype in a hurry yesterday as I'd forgotten it after a Windows reinstall and hadn't noticed the Click to Call add-on mentioned until this morning when Firefox mentioned it had been added.

    I disabled the Click to Call add-on in Firefox,  restarted Excel and FF and everything is back to normal.

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-08T07:01:21+00:00

    Thank you very much for the solution!!

    I faced the same issue with Skype Click to Call, which has been resolved, as soon as I uninstalled that Skype function from Chrome!!

    Thanks again!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments