My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-14T10:37:01+00:00

    Great tip. It solved my problem! I thought I was marooned with this issue over the weekend. I am grateful to you and the online blogging community at large for providing such useful tips. Cheers mate!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-11T04:34:07+00:00

    I hit the problem in Excel 2010 the first time I used it after installing Skype, but didn't make the connection to Skype.

    Spent an hour checking for answers before I found yours - just uninstalling Click to Call worked - many, many thanks.

    I note the comment re 'the problem only occurs with google chrome' - but I use Firefox 11.0 and don't have chrome installed.

    In case it matters I also use Win 7 32bit and Office Home & Business 2010.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-04-09T12:44:46+00:00

    Rohn007's reply is from March 14, when this issue was just surfacing. At that time, a repair installation was a reasonable suggestion, since nobody had any idea about the real cause of the problem yet. That Skype Click to Call is the culprit became clear gradually during the next two weeks, and it was only acknowledged by Microsoft at the very end of March.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments