My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T13:42:26+00:00

    There are 3 discussions on this same subject now, the info is spread between them.

    For me:

    Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

    Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 OEM 

    IE8, then upgraded to IE9 and problem persists.

    On Dell hardware.

    Closing all browser windows instantly restores Excel functionality. Seems to have started after the llast "Patch Tuesday"

    All mentions I have found on this site for the problem:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/problem-with-copy-paste-in-excel-2010/cca7eb06-4815-4d3b-a9c1-08f0ddecf0a2?tm=1332160234325&page=1

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/paste-special-in-excel-2010-bug/24e84564-4e65-4190-abf7-94bec9b32a78

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/my-format-painter-in-excel-2010-has-stopped/f4863ace-8ac5-4c42-9838-8bbc8efb6ec1?msgId=b56ecd04-2b46-4fa6-a0c6-d9eed120f441&tm=1332157717244

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T12:55:18+00:00

    Closing the browser helped ServiceDeskWC with copy/paste problem in another nearby discussion.  Unfortunately he hasn't let us know just which browser and version of it he's using.  But the OS is Win 7 Pro with Office Home & Business 2010 (not specified whether it was 32 or 64bit version).  So maybe closing the browser helped with this also and he'll let us know which browser plays into this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T12:22:07+00:00

    There is a known issue with Copy/Paste in Excel 2010 associated with open internet browsers.  See:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-excel/problem-with-copy-paste-in-excel-2010/cca7eb06-4815-4d3b-a9c1-08f0ddecf0a2

    I suggest you close all browsers and then re-try Excel.  Please post back on your results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T11:49:31+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments