My Format Painter in Excel 2010 has stopped working no matter how many times I click it

Anonymous
2012-03-14T00:50:50+00:00

I have been using Excel for a long time and I have never had problems with the Format Painter to copy formatting to rows. Today when I click on the button the cell would look like it had a selection box around it for a split second and then it would disappear instantly making it unable to paste formatting again.

Not sure if it is a related issue but when I copy "CTRL + X"  usually you would see a selection box around the cell that was "Cut" but the same thing happens here where it would deselect. It still lets me paste what I cut but the only thing is the original data is still there after I have pasted.  It also does not allow me to copy normally and paste formatting as it only gives me the options for "Unicode Text" and "Text".

Please someone help because I need this for work :(

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-04-14T11:09:08+00:00

Skype has released an updated version of the Click to Call browser add-on that should be free of the problem mentioned above.

If you want it, go to http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/click-to-call/windows/ and click Download Now.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T23:24:37+00:00

    Oh My Gosh! I can't believe that solved it. All this time I had been searching for an answer when the Browser itself was the root of the problem. 

    I had been restarting my computer or logging out and back in to solve the problem. But at least I know an easy way to work around it. Still strange that this happens. I hope this gets fixed.

    I am using Windows 7 64 bit

    Office Home and Business 2010

    Browser Google Chrome version 17.0.963.79 m

    I tested it with Internet Explorer and Firfox but the problem only occurs with google chrome.

    Thank You All who have replied :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T16:08:11+00:00

    Good thought. I have Skype installed. Exiting from Skype and disabling the browser add-ins restored Excel functionality even with IE open. Strangely I seem to have retained functionality despite restarting Skype and re-enabling the addi-ins. Odd, but I've not tried rebooting or a fresh IE session yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-19T14:52:31+00:00

    Do you have Skype installed? I started having these problems last Thursday 16 March using both IE8 (cannot go to IE9 as my printer driver does not yet support it) but also fails with Google Chrome. I also found it would not cut and paste formulae. Closing all browsers fixes it but is so frustrating. A 'repair' did not resolve anything.

    However I retraced everything I did just before the error and I seem to have fixed the issue by uninstalling SKYPE and then reinstalling it. So far I have been able to open excel spreadsheets and IE8 and Google Chrome and I am currently still able to happily use format painter and cut and past formulae. I haven't yet used Skype but shall leave that test for later as I am too far behind on the excel work I need to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more