A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
I also had to revert back to MS 2010 because of this problem. This is very unfortunate.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Please help. When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well. They work a couple of times then seize up. I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!! Can anyone please help?
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I also had to revert back to MS 2010 because of this problem. This is very unfortunate.
I have what sounds like the same issue, and have since the moment I installed Office I'm not even sure what version I have since they eliminated drop down menus, I can't find "About"....
The arrow works fine the first time you push it, and every time you push it, provided you don't allow the cursor to dwell on it for too long (more than a few seconds). If you allow the cursor to dwell on the scroll down error (as one tends to do when reading through a document), the scroll becomes disabled. Nothing happens! The arrow doesn't indent or change color, and the page does not scroll.
To restore the function of the scroll arrow, you have to click anywhere else on the page, and then return to the arrow. It is highly annoying.
"About"
Office 2010: "About" information is displayed on the Backstage Pane in File menu > Help command
Office 2013: "About" information is available on the Backstage Pane in File menu > Account command > About button
What Version of Office am I running? What version of Word
**http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/what-version-of-office-am-i-using-HA101873769.aspx******
**http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/management/what-version-of-word-do-i-have.html******
**http://www.7tutorials.com/6-ways-learn-exact-version-any-application-you-are-using******
Most people are using 1 of 3 Office versions: 2003, 2007 or 2010. There is a major split between in the user interface between 2003 which is the “old” Menu system and 2007 which uses the “new and improved” Ribbon.
I will provide simple guidelines on how to quickly identify which version of Office you are running.
How Can Identify Office / Word 2013
If you are familiar with earlier versions of Office, you will immediately notice the color of the Ribbon and the icons are slightly “simpler” in design.
If you have not customized it, you will notice that the tabs are all Upper case (it is a quick fix to “correct” that).
The Tabs in the Word Ribbon have a new tab: File, Home, Insert, and Design **,**Page Layout, References, Review, View
To find the exact version information, File menu > Account command > About Word button. The About dialog will list the detailed version information. It is essentially the same as early versions.
How can I Identify Office / Word 2010
The Word (application) icon has returned, to the left corner of the application window, eliminating the “Office” button. The rest of the application title bar is the same as 2007: QAT beside Application icon followed by the Filename and application name centered. Unlike 2007, there is very little contrast in the background color of the inactive tabs compared to the title bar. The active tab is still highlighted by the light backgound color.
The Tab names are: FILE, Home, Insert, Page Layout, References, Mailings, Review, View
The ribbon is essentially the same as in 2007. The main difference is that the contrast between buttons and the background that was apparent in 2007 has been muted so that the buttons completely merge into the background.
To find the exact version information, File menu > Help command > In the Backstage Pane will list the detailed version information about half way down. If you click on the hyperlink hidden under the text “Additional Version and Copyright Information” below the version number. This will display the “About” dialog box. It is essentially the same as early versions.
What and where is the Office 2010 Backstage view
**http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/onenote-help/what-and-where-is-backstage-view-HA010370584.aspx******
How can I Identify Office / Word 2007
The Word (application) Icon has been replaced in the Upper left corner of the application window by a big round 4 color “Office” button (it is clickable!) that spans 2 rows. Beside that are some icons for the “Quick Access Tab (QAT)” (note: optionally it can be relocated below ribbon). Beside the QAT in a light background is the Application title. The File name followed by “ – Microsoft Word” is centered in the Application title bar. Immediately below that is the “Tab” bar. Each tab is a graphical redesign of the old menus. The “active” tab has a light background, the rest of the inactive tabs are in a darker contrasting background color.
The Tab names are Office Button, Home, Insert, Page Layout, References, Mailings, Review, View
Immediately below the tab names is the new “Ribbon”. It is subdivided into “Groups”. Within the group, small and large icons and text lables. The icon organization is dynamic. As you resize the width of the application window, the icon layout is adapted. Icon sizes and locations will change.
To find the exact version information, Office Orb > Word Options button > Resources option > About button This will display the “About” dialog box. It is essentially the same as early versions.
Thanks for that. I'm running MSWord 2013. I appreciate that, and I agree that "improved" needs to be in quotes for the menu bar. After using it for a while and getting used to it, I still think its harder to use than the old drop-down menus.
Anyway, my main problem was the down-arrow vertical scroll bar thing. If you let the cursor dwell on it for more than about 5 seconds, as I tend to do when I'm reading through a document, it becomes non-functional. You have to move the cursor and click somewhere else on the page to re-enable the verticle scroll arrow. Does anyone know if that can be fixed? Highly annoying.
While I'm just generally bitching, (and this is a topic for another forum), to read this message, I had to log into my hotmail account, which has apparently hit some sort of security anniversary. So I had to retrieve a code from my other hotmail account
/bitching (for now).
It's very easy to identify Office 2013: the icons in the title bar are lines and squares, and the vertical scroll bars do not work unless you keep moving the mouse around constantly. I can't believe anyone is actually using it.