A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Nope, Asus laptop, Windows 8.1 and Word 2013 also the same problem...
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Please help. When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well. They work a couple of times then seize up. I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!! Can anyone please help?
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Nope, Asus laptop, Windows 8.1 and Word 2013 also the same problem...
I had an issue with the scrollbars on Win 7 and Office 2013. I marked 'Disable hardware graphics acceleration' and this worked for me (both Excel and Outlook)
Instead of using the arrows, I find it easier to click above or below the "thumb" or "elevator," which scrolls the document by one screen. Except at the very beginning or end of a document, there is usually enough space on the scroll bar to do this.
Hi Suzanne,
Any and all clicking in the scroll bar or on the arrows exhibits the same bug. If you don't move the mouse after the first click, ALL subsequent clicks will be ignored until you do move the mouse. It does not matter whether you click on the arrow or over/under the "elevator". There is no work around for this bug other than to upgrade from Office 2013 to Office 2010. The scroll bar on Office 2010 seems to work on Windows 7 and 8. I'm hanging on to my Intel stock, but I sold Microsoft: they can't figure out how to service their desktop market, and they don't have a chance in the phone and pad space.
Bill
Thanks csteg. I'm glad that worked for you, but I don't see how to get it to work on my machine. What I tried was Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization> Display>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Troubleshoot. "Change Settings" is grayed out. Then I looked in the Intel HD Graphics software and I don't see any way of disabling hardware graphics acceleration. Oh well.
Best, Mark
Basically this is a problem with Office 2013. One of the software engineers at Microsoft decided to time-out the scroll bar use after 5 seconds if there is no mouse motion. Unfortunately, this software engineer has not worked in the world of reviewing documents. We are stuck with this unfortunate decision by MS to both, not-catch this, and never decide to send an update to remove the 5 second scroll bar deactivation.
For my newest computer, I will instal MS 2010 instead of 2013. Because that programming mistake is driving me crazy. But really, MS needs some competition, I believe that's the real solution. I wish I had a way to resolve this issue with Word 2013, but that setting is hard-coded into the software.