arrows on vertical scroll bar in word 2013 are not working consistently

Anonymous
2013-03-17T17:45:24+00:00

Please help.  When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well.  They work a couple of times then seize up.  I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!!  Can anyone please help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-01T05:05:21+00:00

    This problem affects both up and down arrows as well as clicking in the scrollbar for paging down.  Since these are the typical methods I use for scrolling through and reading documents, Word 2013 turns out to be useless.  Moreover, it has the same ridiculous icons and dumbing down of functionality that makes Windows 8 such a wasteland.  I have the same opinion of Excel 2013: it is far less intuitive and useful than Excel 2010.  My solution was simple: back to Windows 7 and Office 2010.  Windows 7 is a great OS and Office 2010 works just fine.  Why pay money to get software that is worse than what you already have?

    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-09T21:45:46+00:00

    Edit: Actually, the problem seems to happen only with the combination of Office 2013 on Windows 8: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office\_2013\_release-word/scroll-bar-in-word-2013-freezes-i-need-to-move/896d037d-ede8-4392-b5d2-240962f5362f so that explains why it's difficult to see (since so few people seem to be using Win 8)

     I am also having this problem with the combination of Office 2013 on Windows 7 Professional.  This is a brand new laptop, so I don't believe there were previous versions of Office or Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-19T22:12:05+00:00

    Having the same issue.  Please don't tell me to use a different scrolling method.  Using Lenovo pointing stick for years.  I know I can use the center mouse button, but I just can't get the hang of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T16:22:35+00:00

    I am having the same issue. Office 2013 and windows 7. I recently purchased office 2013 because my publisher requires that my novels be submitted on Word. I was working with WordPerfect until then and have no older version of Word to revert back to. The scroll bars are tremendously important to me as I have to scroll through a 400 page novel over and again. They and are not working correctly. They keep falling asleep and I have to wake them up. Extremely irritating! Please let me know if a solution arises.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T17:54:26+00:00

    The scroll bars are tremendously important to me as I have to scroll through a 400 page novel over and again. They and are not working correctly. They keep falling asleep and I have to wake them up.

    Extremely irritating! Please let me know if a solution arises. 

    Rather than depending on the scroll bars, consider using <PAGE UP> <PAGE DOWN> buttons and the "Navigation Pane" to move around in the document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments