arrows on vertical scroll bar in word 2013 are not working consistently

Anonymous
2013-03-17T17:45:24+00:00

Please help.  When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well.  They work a couple of times then seize up.  I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!!  Can anyone please help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T23:07:24+00:00

    It does not occur with Word 2010 on Windows 7.  I haven't tried Word 2010 on Windows 8 because I found both Office 2013 and Windows 8 to be no better than what I was already using.  Does Windows 8 offer any advantages over Windows 7?  I could not find one.  Does Office 2013 offer any advantages over Office 2010?  I did not see any advantages.  I really wanted to use Windows 8 and Office 2013, I used them for over one month, and I probably would have stuck with it, but the scroll bar bug put me over the top.  I use a touchpad so there is no natural "mouse" movement, and every time I clicked the down arrow nothing happened unless I moved my hand over to the touchpad and tickled the cursor.  What a relief to be back on Windows 7 with Office 2010.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T22:50:01+00:00

    This is simply a bug.  Page up and page down have their use, and the scroll bar arrows have their use. In Word 2013 plus Windows 8 the scroll bars do not work properly.  Period. 

    I agree that it is a bug.  But as some of the posts above, including mine, state, it also occurs in Windows 7.

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T22:43:36+00:00

    This is simply a bug.  Page up and page down have their use, and the scroll bar arrows have their use. In Word 2013 plus Windows 8 the scroll bars do not work properly.  Period.  The bug is probably related to the disappearing scroll bar function that was driven by the Windows 8 objective to provide a uniform experience across phones, pads and PCs.  The problem with that philosophy is that PCs should have a whole lot more functionality than a phone or a pad.  Every Microsoft OS from DOS to Windows 7 used the increased power and memory available in the hardware to improve the look and feel of the user interface and provide a better user experience.  Windows 8 is the first OS to try to take the PC experience in the wrong direction.  They have succeeded all too well.  I am sticking with Windows 7 and hoping that Microsoft will wake up and make Windows 9 a better operating system than Windows 7 instead of having a Windows 9 that is suitable for the 4 inch screen on a cell phone.  I am sticking with Office 2010 in hopes that Office 2015 will have scroll bars that work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T19:37:26+00:00

    @Rohn007: You're kidding, right?  The vertical scroll bar allows you to move the text slightly up or down without your having to reorient yourself.  You can follow the motion of the text as it scrolls smoothly.  The <PAGE UP> <PAGE DOWN> buttons make bigger changes than that, and the changes are not smooth.

    This is a basic word processing function.  Seriously, Word has hundreds of bells and whistles, and Microsoft is no longer going to let us scroll the text up and down?

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T17:54:26+00:00

    The scroll bars are tremendously important to me as I have to scroll through a 400 page novel over and again. They and are not working correctly. They keep falling asleep and I have to wake them up.

    Extremely irritating! Please let me know if a solution arises. 

    Rather than depending on the scroll bars, consider using <PAGE UP> <PAGE DOWN> buttons and the "Navigation Pane" to move around in the document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments