arrows on vertical scroll bar in word 2013 are not working consistently

Anonymous
2013-03-17T17:45:24+00:00

Please help.  When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well.  They work a couple of times then seize up.  I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!!  Can anyone please help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T20:33:21+00:00

    Which is good to know, because I was thinking about installing Windows 7 to solve the problem, but maybe I would better off to uninstall Office 2013 and go back to the version of Office 2007 that I own, since that was designed to work on a PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T19:56:33+00:00

    Thanks for your post.  Just to be clear, it does not happen only with Windows 8.  The bug occurs with the combination of Office 2013 and Windows 7, at least for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T17:51:30+00:00

    I agree with German Pulido assessment of the problem.  I formatted my hard drive when I installed Windows 8 (and have since upgraded to Windows 8.1).  I'm using an HP PC that does NOT have a touch screen.  I wish Microsoft Office 2013 would either automatically detect that a device does not have a touch screen and therefore not hidden the scroll bars or allow the user to manually disable the hiding of the scroll bars. 

    Regardless, when I try to slow scroll through a long Word  document, I find that when I pause for more than a few seconds, even though my scroll bar doesn't disappear (since I am hovering over it), it stops working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-25T02:41:29+00:00

    Thank you for the suggestion.  And good idea about the scroll wheel, but I am on a laptop with no mouse, only a touchpad.  Come to think of it, though, with this touchpad you can get it to scroll if you sweep your finger on the right-hand side.  I never use that feature, but maybe I'll be driven to.

    The scrolling works until you let the mouse arrow sit on the square for about 10 seconds, so it's hard to see how anybody could argue it's a feature.  (Then you get it to work again by moving the mouse a little.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T23:49:18+00:00

    Yes it is a PITA affecting a fundamental function. Yes, I too see it is a bug. And I wouldn't be surprised if MS will try to play the "it's not a bug, it is a feature" whitewash.  So you either work around it, get used to it, or "upgrade" back to 2010.

    No, I am not kidding. I am not apologizing for MS (Win8 / Office 2013 are low on my "make me happy list"). I was just trying to provide you with options. Another one that may be more to your taste is use the mouse scroll wheel. That is actually how I do most of my scrolling, rather than the vertical scroll bar.

    William: you wonder what benefits Office 2013 and Widows 8 provide? A very fundamental one. They both provide MS with billions in new $$$ MONEY $$$. 

    I had not considered this bug in the context of dumbing down PCs to be phat smart phones via Win 8. I think it is a reasonable observation of an unintended effect they are hoping they can slip through without "too many" people complaining about too vocally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments