arrows on vertical scroll bar in word 2013 are not working consistently

Anonymous
2013-03-17T17:45:24+00:00

Please help.  When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well.  They work a couple of times then seize up.  I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!!  Can anyone please help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T15:43:58+00:00

    Thanks csteg.  I'm glad that worked for you, but I don't see how to get it to work on my machine.  What I tried was Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization> Display>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Troubleshoot.  "Change Settings" is grayed out.  Then I looked in the Intel HD Graphics software and I don't see any way of disabling hardware graphics acceleration.  Oh well.

    Best, Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-07T15:29:28+00:00

    Instead of using the arrows, I find it easier to click above or below the "thumb" or "elevator," which scrolls the document by one screen. Except at the very beginning or end of a document, there is usually enough space on the scroll bar to do this.

    Hi Suzanne,

    Any and all clicking in the scroll bar or on the arrows exhibits the same bug.  If you don't move the mouse after the first click, ALL subsequent clicks will be ignored until you do move the mouse.  It does not matter whether you click on the arrow or over/under the "elevator".  There is no work around for this bug other than to upgrade from Office 2013 to Office 2010.  The scroll bar on Office 2010 seems to work on Windows 7 and 8.  I'm hanging on to my Intel stock, but I sold Microsoft: they can't figure out how to service their desktop market, and they don't have a chance in the phone and pad space.

    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-07T15:04:01+00:00

    I had an issue with the scrollbars on Win 7 and Office 2013. I marked 'Disable hardware graphics acceleration' and this worked for me (both Excel and Outlook)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-04T09:16:48+00:00

    Nope, Asus laptop, Windows 8.1 and Word 2013 also the same problem...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T17:07:00+00:00

    So the same thing is still happening after almost a year?  I hate getting user complaints only to have an answer of "It's a bug that may or may not be fixed in a patch".  I'm running out of reasons to keep users upgraded to the "latest and greatest" applications. 

    ~Travis

    I agree 100%.  This is a maddening glitch in the basic user interface, which occurs on every page of a document.  I think it's just unacceptable that Microsoft would not fix it. 

    For what it's worth, and if it helps in the diagnosis of the problem, this is happening to me on an HP G72-B66US notebook.  I don't know if the problem is specific to HP or not.  Word 2013, Windows 7.

    I had a bad feeling about upgrading because I knew in advance that something would not work right.  I was right.

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments