arrows on vertical scroll bar in word 2013 are not working consistently

Anonymous
2013-03-17T17:45:24+00:00

Please help.  When using word 2013, the arrows on the vertical scroll bar on right of page are not working well.  They work a couple of times then seize up.  I use them when slowly reading through or altering a document and hate that they are not functioning properly!!  Can anyone please help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T17:07:00+00:00

    So the same thing is still happening after almost a year?  I hate getting user complaints only to have an answer of "It's a bug that may or may not be fixed in a patch".  I'm running out of reasons to keep users upgraded to the "latest and greatest" applications. 

    ~Travis

    I agree 100%.  This is a maddening glitch in the basic user interface, which occurs on every page of a document.  I think it's just unacceptable that Microsoft would not fix it. 

    For what it's worth, and if it helps in the diagnosis of the problem, this is happening to me on an HP G72-B66US notebook.  I don't know if the problem is specific to HP or not.  Word 2013, Windows 7.

    I had a bad feeling about upgrading because I knew in advance that something would not work right.  I was right.

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T16:24:27+00:00

    So the same thing is still happening after almost a year?  I hate getting user complaints only to have an answer of "It's a bug that may or may not be fixed in a patch".  I'm running out of reasons to keep users upgraded to the "latest and greatest" applications. 

    ~Travis

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-18T17:13:50+00:00

    I have had 2 computers with Office 2013 and have experienced this same flaw. If the pointer remains over the down-arrow button for an extended period, such as when you are reviewing a long document, it freezes. I then have to move the pointer off the down-arrow then back over it for the down-arrow functionality to re-engage. I am hoping that Microsoft will develop a patch for this flaw. If there is another fix, please publish.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-17T18:59:10+00:00

    My vertical scroll is not working well in word, but now I also have trouble when browsing the net with Google Chrome.  The bottom scroll arrow has disappeared, and an internal scroll box did the same thing, so that I was unable to choose options from a menu...  Very strange!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-11-02T01:26:45+00:00

    Instead of using the arrows, I find it easier to click above or below the "thumb" or "elevator," which scrolls the document by one screen. Except at the very beginning or end of a document, there is usually enough space on the scroll bar to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments