MS Word 2007 crashing and .wbk files appearing on desktop - repairs

Anonymous
2013-02-08T16:44:17+00:00

Dear Community,

I am currently using MS Word and it keeps on crashing.

I have noticed that in every instance when the MS Word 2007 restarts - the ribbon down the side will show four or five instances of one document.

I usually do not know which one to choose - one will have repairs - of which when I try and see the location of the repairs - I can not locate them.

The ribbon on the top of the screen advises me that I have Macro's - I understand this as I save most documents as Macro enabled as some of my documents have pictures etc in them.

I have ended up with a lot of documents with parts missing.

I also have MS Word creating Back up's - this is confusing me and I have more icons on my desktop. When word crashes - most of my information has disappeared.

I  have attached a link so you can see what it looks like -

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!347

I am only new to MS Word 2007 - so I do not want to loose any data - yet I also want MS Word 2007 to work and not crash when mainly working on large documents.

Thank you Community

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-13T12:36:09+00:00

    Thank you,

    I guess we all get things wrong when we get frustrated and are very ill.

    I am not too sure why I would have commenced a new folder in the Startup. I noted that some of the ~WRL files are partial saves of documents that I have lost.

    I also remember being cautious about deleting the ListGal.dat file as I did not know it's purpose.

    I really do understand without the ability to go into all the sections of a users computer it is very hard to diagnose.

    I was always told just to change the name of the Normal..dotm file, hence the numerous copies.

    I also just have the question of where should I put the Building Blocks.doc file that is currently on my desktop as per my screen shot.

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!396

    Again you have been a life saver

    The path of the tools makes  sense after reading what you mean.

    Is this a common bug or issue with Word 2007 or do many people have similiar issues.

    I just get told to delete the Normal.dotm and always have.

    Thanks for your time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-13T11:11:38+00:00

    You are not bugging me - but our ability to help without access to the PC is limited.

    You appear to have created a folder, not as a sub folder of Startup but as a sub folder of Word. This contains a raft of files beginning  ~WRL. All the files in that folder (and the folder itself) can be deleted. They are serving no useful purpose.

    The folders I suggested you create were sub folders from My Documents, for you to use these rather than store documents on the desktop,

    Do not keep ANY files that begin with ~$ when Word is closed. These are orphan lock files and should not be present.

    In your final illustration, (the Templates folder) although there are several files which appear to be superfluous, they are not interfering with the process so can remain

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-13T10:38:30+00:00

    Dear Graham,

    I am so sorry for bugging you again.

    I have just read your message and thought I would give you a better shot of where the location of the files are.

    I then decided to check the templates location and I noticed that the Normal template has come back.

    I tried closing a couple of documents - they were blank and asked to save changes to the Normal template and I said yes.

    I was informed last time to start a new folder in the Start Up folder to ensure that there was no documents in it and keep the ~.do just in case.

    What do you suggest I do?

    Any assistance is appreciated

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!392

    Thank you so much

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-13T06:36:30+00:00

    There should not be any Word related files on the desktop. It is not clear why you had three versions of Word running. You have shown a 'New Folder' that contains lots of temporary files, without any indication of what this folder relates to. There is no normal template in the User templates folder and the last illustration doesn't include the headings that would identify its location and some of the illustrations still include lock files that start with ~$.

    While I will do my best to help, this is an impossible task without access to the PC. You need to get a local specialist to examine it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T17:57:54+00:00

    I have changed the default printer.

    With the back up files - once I change the tools options - will that stop happening.

    I have set up my word options as per your article.

    I also have included the templates and startup menu so you know what I am seeing.

    I am just a little distressed to see the Backup Files on my desktop.

    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7A797BF1CB645296!389

    I know that you assist a lot of other people. I know that MS Word 2007 can not be that hard to operate - but I just wish to ensure that my large documents stop crashing and multiple copies being made

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments