unwanted extra blank pages in Excel 2010

Anonymous
2013-01-13T17:34:03+00:00

Sometimes, when I'm working in an Excel 2010 document, I'll click File | Print just to see the preview of what the document will look like (in terms of its division into pages) when it's printed.

Usually everything is as expected, but occasionally Excel will arbitrarily decide that my document has many extra blank pages at the end of it.

No amount of removing page breaks or deleting rows at the end of the document (or relaunching Excel or rebooting the computer) will correct this.  If I save the document as a .pdf file, the problem persists in the .pdf file.

Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-13T17:45:10+00:00

It would appear you've run into the infamousLast Cell property of Excel. To verify the cell that Excel believes is the last relevant cell, you can use Ctrl+End. This will take you to the cell that Excel believes to the the outer extent of information. The cell may not contain any information but the row and/or column it is on either has information or had information at some point.

To reset theLastCell of a worksheet, select a cell that is one down and one right to the one you want to be the absolute extents of your worksheet (e.g. all the way down and right). For example, if you want Z99 as the newLast Cell, select AA100. Next, walk through these steps to completely remove extraneous information,

  1. PressCTRL+Shift+<right arrow>. Release and pressCTRL+<spacebar>. Release and pressALT+E then D or right click the highlighted columns and selectDelete.
  2. PressHome, then pressCTRL+Shift+<down arrow>. Release and pressShift+<spacebar>. Release and pressALT+E thenD or right click the highlighted rows and selectDelete.
  3. PressCTRL+Home to return to A1. ImmediatelySave or (if you don't trust your keystrokes)Save As to confirm the new Last Cell position.
  4. PressCTRL+End and you should be in theLast_Cell (e.g. Z99).

It might seem like a lot, but it takes a lot more time to type it out here than it does to actually do it.

Due diligence: There is the potential here to delete a lot of possibly relevant data and/or formulas. Make sure you have a backup copy!

Was this answer helpful?

700+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-03T21:09:47+00:00

    The exact same thing happened to me when I tried to follow the instructions and my document ends wit the last row used as well, except the terminate excel part.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-22T21:06:27+00:00

    I had the same problem and followed all the suggestions posted here to no avail. What finally worked was going into Page Break Preview and adjusted those and then saved. However, one of the things that I had noticed from the get-go was that some of the cells didn't show their border (the outline that shows when there is no border applied). So I went back through and found that these cells had a white fill in them and maybe that was part of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T16:04:02+00:00

    I just tried this with 2 different Excel spreadsheets and it worked great!  But I didn't use the ALT+E, then D option.  I always did the right-click and selected Delete.  I am saving these instructions.  Too bad they can't just fix this glitch.  Thanks so much.  This was very helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T15:53:09+00:00

    I had similar problem issue got fixed by removing invisible charactes. The steps are

    1). Excel document do the print preview. If you see extra page which has no characters on it.

    1. Move the cursor focus to the cell where is no characters. Select All the empty cells
    2. Press the Delete key
    3. Do the print priview again
    4. This time you should not see empty page.

    Thanks for all your feedback. This helped to resolve our issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments