Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T16:38:27+00:00

    It's more promising to ignore regedit. Instead of using "Insert as Printout" you should open the PDF with your (default) PDF reader and then print from it, selecting the "printer" Send to Onenote 201x.

    The result is the same. 

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-20T14:30:10+00:00

    I had this same problem where I was not able to insert a PDF or powerpoint into onenote regardless if I did it from onenote itself or if I pressed file and then print on the PDF or powerpoint. After going to the microsoft store and switching out my surface book 3 times and asking for help and no one being able to help me, I finally figured it out. If you open one note and then on the top right hand corner you see a white and grey box with a person in it, click on it. Click on Account Settings. A new screen will open up, then on the left hand side click on Options. It is right below Account. Then another new screen will pop up. On the left hand side, click on Advanced. Then scroll down to where it says Printouts as a heading. Uncheck the box that says, "Insert long printouts on multiple pages" and then click ok. Now when you try to file printout a file, after clicking on the file, a box will pop up asking if you want to insert it as multiple pages or a single page. Click a single page and it will automatically insert the file into onenote. I hope this helps everyone who is struggling with onenote. I literally tried figuring out this problem for an entire week and then I finally found the solution and I can't believe it was such an easy fix. Goodluck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-24T09:35:08+00:00

    Hey!!

    So the solution is most likely that you don't have adobe reader installed.

    try installing any adobe pdf reader/editor and give it another go https://get.adobe.com/reader/

    Would love to get some feedback, let me know :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T17:45:39+00:00

    i have OneNote 2010. I was getting the same error message you got and discovered that my PDF was associated with Google Chrome. I was able to solve this problem by associating the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once I did that, I was able to insert my PDF into OneNote. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments