Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T14:36:52+00:00

    I have the exact same problem.  I have not always had this problem, only since some update ran.  does anyone have a good solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-26T15:17:10+00:00

    I think this has been fixed.   I know the OneNote app was updated yesterday but i can now insert printouts and files into OneNote 2013 without getting the error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T10:05:16+00:00

    I have the same problem.  It get the print prompt and adobe says it's printing, but it never gets to OneNote, nor do I see anything in the printer queue.  I also tried inserting the PDF from OneNote itself and that didn't work either.  I got the screen with the green bar that said it was being inserted, but it was never able to finish and I gave up after 2 hours.  It was only a 5 or 6 page PDF.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-24T16:32:16+00:00

    I was able to print printouts before to OneNote but one day later I was not able to any more....

    I re-installed acrobat and then it is still the same.

    Solution?...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments