Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-18T23:25:35+00:00

    But I can right click on a pdf file and click print and it will do it just fine.  It only doesn't work when trying to insert a printout in OneNote.  I have Office 2013 with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T19:04:42+00:00

    Hi.  I have one note 2016. PDF associated with  A.A.R. Still doesn't work .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T17:45:39+00:00

    i have OneNote 2010. I was getting the same error message you got and discovered that my PDF was associated with Google Chrome. I was able to solve this problem by associating the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once I did that, I was able to insert my PDF into OneNote. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-08-24T09:35:08+00:00

    Hey!!

    So the solution is most likely that you don't have adobe reader installed.

    try installing any adobe pdf reader/editor and give it another go https://get.adobe.com/reader/

    Would love to get some feedback, let me know :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments