Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T17:22:51+00:00

    What is the application that opens the PDF files in your computer? If it didn't correctly register the print command on PDF file extension, this wouldn't work. You can try to repair/re-install that application.

    For rotated printout issue, you need to pick the orientation while printing (from the print dialog). Or if they are already in OneNote as rotated and you don't want to re-print, you can use Onetastic add-in which adds a Rotate Printout menu item to the right click menu of printouts. (See http://omeratay.com/onetastic)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T15:43:09+00:00

    Also, I can insert them if I go in to the PDF file and print it to OneNote. But that is a huge hassle, I'd much rather be able to do it directly from ON. Also, when I get it in by "printing" it, the pages go in sideways. (The pages I want to insert are in landscape, and they turn clockwise in ON)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments