Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T17:45:39+00:00

    i have OneNote 2010. I was getting the same error message you got and discovered that my PDF was associated with Google Chrome. I was able to solve this problem by associating the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once I did that, I was able to insert my PDF into OneNote. Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T16:38:27+00:00

    It's more promising to ignore regedit. Instead of using "Insert as Printout" you should open the PDF with your (default) PDF reader and then print from it, selecting the "printer" Send to Onenote 201x.

    The result is the same. 

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T15:10:01+00:00

    Hi Omer

    Thanks for your help this sounds really promising.

    I am not an computer ace, could you maybe help me solve this problem step by step.

    I get to the regeditor and to the folder, but I am not sure what I have to change there.

    I'd appreciate your help!

    Thanks a lot already,

    Bea

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-01T19:21:01+00:00

    Hi Bennie,

    To verify, you're still getting the "The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again." error even after upgrading to Office 365. Is that right? Are you using an Office 365 Personal, Home, or Business edition? Are you using Adobe Acrobat, Abode Reader, etc.? For the Edge concern, apart from the troubleshooting steps that you've tried, can you also consider doing a clean boot? See: How to perform a clean boot in Windows for instructions.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments