Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-26T02:20:42+00:00

    I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

    office 365 has the same problem and even worse influents the os as well

    and have effect on edge too

    edge crashes and stops working

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-11T08:39:18+00:00

    I had the problem which I am assuming is exactly the same as you have whereby when I try and insert a PDF it just hangs for ever. I tried reinstalling one note and running the repair with no success and on a whim I then tried to install Onetastic which I had  previously. The problems immediately went away. Hope this helps somebody.

    Andy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-07T20:21:15+00:00

    I'm having this problem on my Surface 4.  Anyone know how to fix it?  I have no problems inserting pdfs on my desktop and no problems with word docs on my surface

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-12T14:40:43+00:00

    I followed this tutorial, but not for Adobe Acrobat Reader but for Foxit PDF Reader and the key is :

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document\shell\print\command

    The value was : "C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\FOXIT SOFTWARE\FOXIT READER\FOXITREADER.EXE" /p /h "%1"

    I have change it with : "C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\FOXIT SOFTWARE\FOXIT READER\FOXITREADER.EXE" /p "%1"

    Work perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments