Problem inserting PDF file printout in OneNote?

Anonymous
2013-01-16T13:32:50+00:00

I need to insert a PDF file printout into OneNote, but when I try I get the following error message:

The file you have selected cannot be inserted as a Printout. There may be a problem with the file, or you may not have the right program installed. You must first install a program that can open and print this file type, and then try again.


I've read through some of the other topics in the forums discussing this same problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could a) figure out what the problem is, and b) walk me though the steps of fixing it.. it would be greatly appreciated!!

I have no problems inserting the other sort of file I've tried inserting as a printout: powerpoint.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-08T12:32:00+00:00

I had the same problem from earlier this year (2014) and just upgraded to OFFICE365 and now it all works fine. Must have been a glitch with the 2010 version as it was working for ages and then stopped working earlier this year.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-24T09:35:08+00:00

    Hey!!

    So the solution is most likely that you don't have adobe reader installed.

    try installing any adobe pdf reader/editor and give it another go https://get.adobe.com/reader/

    Would love to get some feedback, let me know :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-18T13:02:12+00:00

    I reinstalled Acrobat Reader and now I have the print option when right clicking a document. However, OneNote still doesnt insert the file as a printout. Same error message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T19:28:49+00:00

    Try reinstalling the Acrobat reader. When you right click on a printable document (say a .docx file) in windows explorer you should see a Print option. If you do not see this on PDF files, OneNote cannot print it. Reinstalling the reader application may fix this and bring the option.

    When you try to print the PDF (Ctrl + P), there should be a "Printer Properties" dialog that you can change the orientation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T19:12:20+00:00

    What is the application that opens the PDF files in your computer? 

    Acrobat reader. 

    [quote]

    For rotated printout issue, you need to pick the orientation while printing (from the print dialog).[/quote]

    I tried going back and doing this, it didn't give me the option when ON was the selected printer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments