Insert date and time in Word

Anonymous
2012-12-03T03:18:02+00:00

In Region and Language when I set the date as follows:  dddd, MMMM d, yyyy   It shows this way:  ‎Sunday, ‎December ‎2, ‎2012  Yet when I use the insert date and time in Word it comes out:  Sunday, December 02, 2012   Until this latest Windows or Vista I never had this problem. Any ideas?

I use Windows 7, Microsoft Word 2007.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-05T18:58:42+00:00

    FWIW, I encountered this problem myself just this morning on a relatively new installation. When I started to type "Wednesday," the AutoComplete suggestion was "Wednesday, December 05, 2012," which was, of course, not what I wanted. When I looked at the Date and Time dialog (this is in Word 2003), "Wednesday, December 5, 2012" was not one of the options. So I went to the Region and Language folder in Control Panel (Windows 7), and that was not one of the options in the short list there, either (as I suspected, "dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy" was currently selected as the default Long Date format). It is necessary to click the button for Additional Settings... and then select the Date tab, where the date format can then be customized. As soon as I made the change and closed Control Panel and returned to Word, the Date and Time dialog reflected the change.

    Thanks.  As mentioned in my original post, I always have used Region and Language in Control Panel to set the correct format for dates.  Only very recently has it not worked. Here is the date in Region and Language after I corrected it:

    dddd, MMMM d, yyyy

    And yet after closing Control Panel and opening a new page in Word it still reads:

    Wednesday, December 05, 2012

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-12-05T13:50:04+00:00

    FWIW, I encountered this problem myself just this morning on a relatively new installation. When I started to type "Wednesday," the AutoComplete suggestion was "Wednesday, December 05, 2012," which was, of course, not what I wanted. When I looked at the Date and Time dialog (this is in Word 2003), "Wednesday, December 5, 2012" was not one of the options. So I went to the Region and Language folder in Control Panel (Windows 7), and that was not one of the options in the short list there, either (as I suspected, "dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy" was currently selected as the default Long Date format). It is necessary to click the button for Additional Settings... and then select the Date tab, where the date format can then be customized. As soon as I made the change and closed Control Panel and returned to Word, the Date and Time dialog reflected the change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-05T07:56:48+00:00

    It is highly unlikely that you will screw it up. The downside would be directly proportional to the degree of screw up as highly as unlikely as that is.

    IMHO Word is like a Maserti.  Those who elect not to use macros keep it in first gear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-05T02:38:17+00:00

    What happens if you employ and excute this:

    Sub DateLongStamp()

    'Inserts current date

    Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="dddd, MMMM d, yyyy", InsertAsField:=False

    End Sub

    See: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/installing_employing_macros.html for instructions to employ the VBA code provided above.

    To begin with pressing ALT + F8 did nothing. I did find that macros window independent of that command. I am reluctant to screw up my computer. What is the downside of working with macros should I screw it up?

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-12-04T18:23:52+00:00

    What happens if you employ and excute this:

    Sub DateLongStamp()

    'Inserts current date

    Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="dddd, MMMM d, yyyy", InsertAsField:=False

    End Sub

    See: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/installing_employing_macros.html for instructions to employ the VBA code provided above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments