Insert date and time in Word

Anonymous
2012-12-03T03:18:02+00:00

In Region and Language when I set the date as follows:  dddd, MMMM d, yyyy   It shows this way:  ‎Sunday, ‎December ‎2, ‎2012  Yet when I use the insert date and time in Word it comes out:  Sunday, December 02, 2012   Until this latest Windows or Vista I never had this problem. Any ideas?

I use Windows 7, Microsoft Word 2007.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-08T15:01:44+00:00

    TVM for the confirmation, Greg. Let's hope it works for the OP.

    BTW, the way Word constructs the various options is quite interesting (in a geekish sort of way). I haven't been through all of it, but roughly speaking for a locale that would typically use "Western Dates" it looks like

    Entry 1 is the Control Panel Short Date

    Entry 2 is the Control Panel Long Date with "dddd," at the front if there isn't already a dddd in the COntrol Panel format

    Entry 3 is the Control Panel Long Date without "dddd," if it is there

    Entry 4 re-uses seems to use the Short Date "d" format and the separator after it, if any, the Short Date "M" format and the separator after that, if any, and "yyyy" if the Short Date "y" format is "yy", or "yy" if the Short Date format has "yyyy". That's all in the sequence in the Short Date, e.g. if the Short Date has y;M;d

    the format would be yyyyM;d . But I'm not sure about that. Entry 4 disappears altogether if you omit a year from the short date format, and similar rules apply for some other entries.

    Entry 5 is fixed

    Entry 6 is fixed

    Entry 7 also re-uses the day and month elements from the Control Panel Short Date, but I haven't looked at the details yet.

    Entry 8 is fixed

    Entry 9 is fixed

    Entry 10 uses the month element from the Control Panel Long Date

    Entry 11 is fixed

    Entry 12 is fixed

    Entry 13 is the Control Panel Short Date & a space & the Control Panel Long Time

    Entry 14 is fixed (AM/PM come from the Control Panel values

    Entries 15-17 are fixed, expect for the separator, which comes from the first separator in the Control Panel Long Time.

    But I have become slightly bog-eyed working that lot out and it really needs to be checked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-08T12:28:34+00:00

    Peter,

    Ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!  I looks like you are right.  I can confirm the behaviour here.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-08T12:19:43+00:00

    Experiments here suggest that the "long date" default (the second in the list in the Insert->Date and Time dialog box) won't pick up a new format from Control Panel's regional options until you have selected a different default format. 

    Here, the following worked:

    a. In Control Panel, set up the long date format that you want.

    b. In Word, bring up the Insert->Date and Time dialog box. Make sure that the language whose format you want to change (English US ?) is showing in the dropdown. It won't if the insertion point is at a location whose proofing language is set to something else such as English (UK), although in that case I think you will be able to select English (US) in the drop down and then proceed.

    c. Select a different format from the "Saturday, December 08, 2012" format

    d. Click the "Set as Default" button

    e. Click "Yes" in the dialog that appears

    f. In the Date and Time dialog box, click Cancel

    g. click the Insert->Date and Time dialog box again and select the language you want in the dropdown.

    If you see the format you want in the list, select it and redo (d) and (e). If you don't, this approach has failed.

    Word does keep your default date/time settings in the Office area in the WIndows registry, and it does not appear to impose new settings made in Control Panel (which are stored elsewhere) until you change the default in Word.

    It's interesting that for US English, the control panel default is actually the same as the "initial" long date default in the Word dialog ("dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy") but for UK English (say), the default in Control Panel is set to "dd MMMM yyyy". The equivalent of the US long format is set to "dddd, dd MMMM yyyy", i.e. Word prepends a "dddd, ". Indeed, if you actually change the US long format to (say) "ddd, MMMM dd, yyyy" in control panel, in Word you will see "dddd, " prepended so you get the rather unhelpful "dddd, ddd, MMMM dd, yyyy"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-07T19:59:38+00:00

    I have a demo document ready for you if you want to contact me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-12-07T19:39:51+00:00

    Error you get when?  What member?  Is there a line of code highlighted when that error message appears?

    I simply don't see how this can be fouled up like this by following the instructions provided. 

    1. Close Word completely.
    2. Open Word
    3. Open the VB Editor

    4.  In the Project Explorer select each project (e.g., Normal, Project1, etc.) one at a time. While each one is selected, on the "Debug" menu, slect "Compile Normal," "Compile Project1"

     

    Do you get any errors? What precisely are those errors (I can't see it or guess what it is,  you have to describe it in detail).  Do you think any error is in any way related to the activities that you have don regarding this matter over the last two days?  If so, delete whatever it is, be it a module you inserted, a procedure you pasted whatever.

    When all errors are gone.  Repeat the debug process in each project.

    Error free?  Yes - preform steps 1 through nine.

    Results?

     

    Re: “Error you get when?  What member?  Is there a line of code highlighted when that error message appears?”

    I don’t know what member it refers to, just that it is there. The line of code is:

     Sub DateLongStamp()

     'Inserts current date

     Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="dddd, MMMM d, yyyy", InsertAsField:=False

    End Sub.

     

    You have went way above and beyond to help me and I don’t want to waste your time further. It is apparent that I am not going to get this to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments