Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-19T12:21:57+00:00

    I had the same problem with Office 365, Excel only.

     Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in Excel options was not selected but repairing Office 365 solved the problem

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2994633

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T16:57:43+00:00

    Thank-you so much! Your fix worked perfectly!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-01T21:39:09+00:00

    Sorry - this just didnt work - tried it a couple of times on excel and word 2007 in Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-24T14:57:02+00:00

    I noticed that 'Microsoft Click-to-run' asked to confirm that it had been uninstalled properly after PatmanV's repair. I lied and said it had so it didn't then uninstall it. Things are still running when I (double) click on them. Cheers PatmanV.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-09-16T15:58:32+00:00

    Just ran into this problem and fixed it this way:

    1. Logging on with Admin permissions (had to have HelpDesk do that).
    2. Repairing Office using the online option.
    3. Opening C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15 and turning off (unchecking) all options on the Excel.exe Compatibility tab.
    4. Opening Excel Options > Advanced > General and unchecking Ignore other applications that use DDE.

    Now files open without a problem from Windows Explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments