Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-25T16:44:45+00:00

    Same problem.  Simply closed all Office programs and ran a "Repair" via Control Panel/ programs and features.

    Resolved the issue.

    My original install was done with Office 2007 still on the computer.  I expected the 2013 install to remove/replace the 2007 version but it did not.  There was no information suggesting that is the correct order to do this upgrade.

    Glad I could find this page for the solution, but when it is that easy to find, it means a LOT of users had this problem.

    Hint - Microsoft needs to read these once in a while and issue updates to resolve comment problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-11-26T19:30:30+00:00

    if posibl istale exel2013 in myn pc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-09T00:56:55+00:00

    This describes the problem I'm having also. If I may restate:

    I'm having a problem opening Excel files from Explorer. The files .xls and .xlsx are properly associated with the Excel 2013 application. When I click on a .docx file, Word opens with the file loaded. When I click on an .xlsx file, Excel opens but without a file and an error message soon appears displaying the path (accurately) and an error message saying: "There was a problem sending the command to the program."

    Has anyone come up with a solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-05T01:30:34+00:00

    In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen. Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

    Dennis Whitford

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-09-23T01:05:56+00:00

    This fixed it for me.

    From http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

    Windows 8

    1. Press the Windows logo key + X to see a list of commands and options. (Basically a quick way to get to Programs and Features in Control Panel.)
    2. Click Programs and Features.
    3. Click the Office program you want to repair, and then click Change.
    4. Do one of the following:
    • In Office 2010, click Repair > Continue.
    • In Office 2013, click either Quick Repair or Online Repair.

    I just encountered this problem and this solved it, thanks for the post/advice, you're a big help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments